#163226  by Atk1
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:28 pm
Trying to rebuild my rig and I picked up a couple of new pedals.
Waldo's picture isn't visable anymore, so I'm wondering what the order was?

Ive got an FYD preamp and a Mac 250.
I'm thinking my pedal order should be:
Guitar>
Peterson Stroborack tuner>
MXR dist+>
OC-2>
Tru-Tron>
Earth Drive>
OD-2r>
GE-7 eq>
Carbon Copy

Am I on the right track here? OD before the modulation? Earth before the overdrive??

Really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
 #163228  by waldo041
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:13 pm

Last edited by waldo041 on Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #163229  by waldo041
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:16 pm
1993 - 1995

~waldo
 #163232  by waldo041
 Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:56 pm
Atk1 wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:56 pm
Right on man . Thank you!
Left off woman. you're welcome!
~waldo
Atk1 liked this
 #163241  by MikeMcA
 Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm
This thread is worth reviewing: https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=17656

IMHO the question of pedal order is secondary to the question of pedal function, in particular with respect to the drive pedals. When Jerry ran two drives one was used for "overdrive" and one for "distortion" (and then he would cascade them sometimes). Are you emulating this? Which pedals will fill which roles in your setup?

It looks like Jerry typically put his distortion downstream from his overdrive and that's not uncommon at all because when you cascade drives the last in line is the one which contributes the majority of the tonal character. Distortion into overdrive can be cool but overdrive into distortion tends to sound like "more distortion" which is typically what you want.
waldo041, Atk1 liked this
 #163247  by Atk1
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:56 am
MikeMcA wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:27 pm
This thread is worth reviewing: https://www.rukind.com/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=17656

IMHO the question of pedal order is secondary to the question of pedal function, in particular with respect to the drive pedals. When Jerry ran two drives one was used for "overdrive" and one for "distortion" (and then he would cascade them sometimes). Are you emulating this? Which pedals will fill which roles in your setup?

It looks like Jerry typically put his distortion downstream from his overdrive and that's not uncommon at all because when you cascade drives the last in line is the one which contributes the majority of the tonal character. Distortion into overdrive can be cool but overdrive into distortion tends to sound like "more distortion" which is typically what you want.
Yeah. good points. I realize I need to cascade the other direction like you said.
 #163249  by MikeMcA
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am
Atk1 wrote:
I realize I need to cascade the other direction
So you are using the OD-2 as overdrive? I think that's a good call; I've A/B'ed the OD-1 and OD-2 in that role and despite the "Turbo" in the name the 2 sounds better to my ear with the gain rolled way back.

What are you using the Earth Drive for? I like the ED a lot but have a hard time finding the right slot for it. It's intended purpose - always-on compensation for a low-volume/non-Maestro-ized rig's over-cleanliness - obviously isn't something Jerry had to worry about. I believe Brad runs it last before the preamp which makes sense. But then it doesn't play particularly with well any other dirt pedals you put in front of it. It changes their character a bit.

I've been thinking about using a smart switching system like the Boss ES-8 so whenever one of my OD's or D+ is on the ED is off. But the problem there is I would want the ED downstream from the OBEL and everything else inside the OBEL and I don't think there's a way to wire that up with an off-the-shelf switcher.

My chain currently is:
Guitar
OBEL: (octave) -> OD-2 -> TruTron -> OD-1 -> D+, Phase 100 -> (delay)
ED?
Amp
 #163250  by Jon S.
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:32 am
Substantively, this is a great thread. I keep thinking though, that when I open it, the OP will be, "He placed it a quarter of century ago with Sam Ash and it still hasn't arrived!" :oops: :lol:
FLH liked this
 #163252  by Atk1
 Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:24 pm
MikeMcA wrote:
Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:13 am
Atk1 wrote:
I realize I need to cascade the other direction
So you are using the OD-2 as overdrive? I think that's a good call; I've A/B'ed the OD-1 and OD-2 in that role and despite the "Turbo" in the name the 2 sounds better to my ear with the gain rolled way back.

What are you using the Earth Drive for? I like the ED a lot but have a hard time finding the right slot for it. It's intended purpose - always-on compensation for a low-volume/non-Maestro-ized rig's over-cleanliness - obviously isn't something Jerry had to worry about. I believe Brad runs it last before the preamp which makes sense. But then it doesn't play particularly with well any other dirt pedals you put in front of it. It changes their character a bit.

I've been thinking about using a smart switching system like the Boss ES-8 so whenever one of my OD's or D+ is on the ED is off. But the problem there is I would want the ED downstream from the OBEL and everything else inside the OBEL and I don't think there's a way to wire that up with an off-the-shelf switcher.

My chain currently is:
Guitar
OBEL: (octave) -> OD-2 -> TruTron -> OD-1 -> D+, Phase 100 -> (delay)
ED?
Amp
The Dist+ and the OD2r are new to me.. So I am not sure how it all works together. Up until now the ED was my only Jerry dirt.

That's mainly why I was asking about pedal order.