#161555  by Reuben94

Hey guys!
I know that probably all of this was discussed here before, but still wanted to ask kindly if some of you could explain this in a summarized manner 8)
I got an SMS (thanks Brad!), a Carvin DCM200L, 2 JBL K-120, a 2x12 cab is on the way (thanks Tim, TRM!) and a waldo buffer as well (thanks waldo!)..

The question that is left is how to connect the cab (loaded with 2 JBL's) and the Carvin! I'm not experienced and don't want to blow something up before even getting started..
I think I have to wire the 2 speakers in parallel und then need a banana plug-1/4 jack cable to connect cab and amp...?

Your help (or maybe even a photo of your Carvin back's) would be very much appreciated, as is the knowledge and effort that everybody is contributing over here making this project possible!

Thanks from Germany!
Reuben94
 #161560  by TeeJay

Hey Reuben- My favorite way to wire the carvin is to biamp the 212 jbl cab. Wire the speakers to their own 1/4 jack and power one of the speakers with channel one and one of the speakers with channel two. Push in the parallel switch on the input of the carvin which sends the SMS signal to both power amps. Then a 1/4 speaker cable from each channel to the 212 cabinet. If you think 100w is too much for the Ks if I remember right the impedance selection switch on the carvin can be selected to give 60w per channel. You could use just one side of the carvin too and give each speaker 50w.
 #161563  by Reuben94

Hey TeeJay! Thanks for the quick reply, much appreciated!
As far as I know the cab comes with just one jack on its back, so I would have to wire the two speakers before and just have one jack on the cab! What would be the way in this case? - to connect the speaker cable to either channel one or channel two..?
I know it's basic stuff - I just want to make sure everything is exactly perfect in the end!
Thanks for your help 8)
 #161564  by TeeJay

Is it too late to have TRM put a dual 1/4 jackplate on the back? Are your K120's 8 ohms?
 #161572  by Reuben94

No it's already on the way..!
And yes, both JBL's are 8 ohms - any suggestions?

Huge thanks TeeJay!!!
 #161573  by TeeJay

Double check the Carvin manual on this but if I remember correctly it says to not bridge with less than 8ohm load. So what I am thinking is to bridge for 200w wire the speakers in series for a load of 16ohm. You will need a banana plug to 1/4 speaker cable to bridge the amp.
 #161647  by Reuben94

Hey TeeJay! Sorry for the late reply! The TRM cab didn't arrive yet but I still had one similar one and installed a second input jack that I'll also install into the TRM cab - so I did it the way you suggested in the first place! It all worked out perfectly , so big thanks to you for your help!!