#161317  by ppaul129

Hi All,
Here is my question for the group. I have 2 Eminence Commonwealth 12's (and also have a Cannabis Rex). I have been playing with the Commonwealths quite a bit and think they sound great, but I think they are a bit too biting (not in a terrible way) but I want more smooth highend that I've had in the past from the Rex. I love the Garcia low strings sound (althea, china cat, tleo, etc.) but I also want that classic Fender quack too. My current sound is so close to my personal holy grail, but I just wanted to see what other's thought.

So my question is... I have a 2x12 cabinet and would like to put one of the commonwealths in it with the Rex. I know that mixing speakers can be hit or miss, and that typically you want them to have the same efficiency, but in my mind this combo sounds perfect. I also have a 2x12 Mojotone with 2 12F150's in it that sounds really nice.

Any thoughts would be really appreciated:)

My setup is '92 Strat w/ stratoblaster and Phred Upgraded Wolph > qtron+ > Analogman TS-9s, SD-2, DS-1, Klon clone > strymon mobius, > TC Delay>HOF2 > Sarno CTP Garcia mod > Mesa 50/50 Power amp > 2x12 Mojotone Weber 12F150s and 2x12 Eminence Commonwealths
 #161318  by Jon S.

I'm from the Duke Ellington school: "If it sounds good, it IS good."

Speaker specs are hard sometimes to predict accurately from* - give it a try and trust your ears.

* "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not." [attributed to Albert Einstein https://www.ruhanirabin.com/famous-quot ... -einstein/ ]
 #161319  by ppaul129

Yes, I am from the same school. My issue it that I just moved from a house where I could play loudly (and did), and now I am in an apartment and my gear is in storage. I am going to be practicing next week, and wanted to get opinions on if I should just try it or if I'd be better off with the 2 commonwealths or maybe the 2 12F150's. I know that things often sound spikey until they are in the mix...
 #161320  by TI4-1009

As CSN&Y once said: "What have you got to lose?"
 #161401  by strumminsix

I've not found the mixing to be hit or miss. It's usually an interesting effect no matter what!

Do it and don't think twice about it.

But where you should think twice is which speaker to mic at gigs. My suggestion would be the brighter one and let that get tamed at the board.