#159777  by WokeUpDead
 Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:44 am
I mentioned to my amp tech that I was looking for some K120's and he said he may have a pair of D120's he could sell me. They would go into a twin reverb 65 reissue. Should I hold out for the K's or go for the D's? What should I be aware of before I purchase them if I do? Whether they've been reconed? What else?
 #159781  by WokeUpDead
 Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:31 pm
Blacklodgebob wrote:
Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:13 am
just put a good condition original k120 up for sale in the garage sale! pm me if you want~! :cool:
Yeah I saw that but it's more than I want to spend on one. Any desire to trade for mint original cone E120?
 #159837  by WokeUpDead
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm
Amp tech said the D120's are reconed with later oem factory JBL kits bringing them up to K120 power ratings. Am I sill better off waiting for K's or will the reconed D's be as good or better? I have read that the D's are never as good as the original but I've also read reconed K's or E's are just as good or better than original cones.
 #159841  by strumminsix
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:33 pm
WokeUpDead wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 pm
Amp tech said the D120's are reconed with later oem factory JBL kits bringing them up to K120 power ratings. Am I sill better off waiting for K's or will the reconed D's be as good or better? I have read that the D's are never as good as the original but I've also read reconed K's or E's are just as good or better than original cones.
The D120 have a 60W ratting. So you're good in your 80W amp (giving each 40W max).

IMO the D120 was the best sounding speaker and most musical comparing the D to E to K.

D's reconed to K is the best of both worlds, IMO. Most of the sweetness of D but with power handling of K.
 #159842  by Gr8fulCadi
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm
I’ve been researching the D’s vs K’s and there seems to be so many theories etc. it’s driving me nuts. I’ve got orange frame D120f speakers and while they say D120 on the sticker on the magnet, I’ve read on TGP that the orange frames are actually K120’s? Mine are stamped in white, 21032. That stamp tells me that they are either original or OEM Recone which would make it a K anyways. I have no idea what I ‘actually’ have but they sound badass either way!! :cool: :cool:

I have them in my Waldo’ized Twin and they sound fantabulous!!
milobender liked this
 #159846  by WokeUpDead
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:01 pm
Well he told me to make an offer. Said he wasn't going to give them away. Ha. I hate that.

So it sounds like maybe reconed D's may be a good route then. Let's see what I can offer him. I sent him a list of mods I've been scraping together and he seems dubious about some of them. Is there a list of must mods out there somewhere that I can get the most bang for the buck besides just replacing the speakers? Replacing specific resistors for example? Maybe that should be a new thread...
 #159847  by WokeUpDead
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:02 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:27 pm
I’ve been researching the D’s vs K’s and there seems to be so many theories etc. it’s driving me nuts. I’ve got orange frame D120f speakers and while they say D120 on the sticker on the magnet, I’ve read on TGP that the orange frames are actually K120’s? Mine are stamped in white, 21032. That stamp tells me that they are either original or OEM Recone which would make it a K anyways. I have no idea what I ‘actually’ have but they sound badass either way!! :cool: :cool:

I have them in my Waldo’ized Twin and they sound fantabulous!!
Wish I could Waldoize my twin but the price I was quoted is WAY beyond my budget. I'll stick with his buffers I guess. I'm really liking those.
gratefulredhead liked this
 #159849  by milobender
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:18 pm
I don't know about the 60-100w idea for D120s... You do remember that Garcia changed to the Ks because he kept blowing Ds up, in a Twin. From what I understand, the rating is fuzzy, because it depends on the frequency... the lower the frequency, the hotter things get. I heard the rating for a D was 35 watts. Yes, using 2 will get by, especially if you don't play loudly, but to be safe, I'd use the Ks.
 #159850  by Gr8fulCadi
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:03 pm
[/quote]

Wish I could Waldoize my twin but the price I was quoted is WAY beyond my budget. I'll stick with his buffers I guess. I'm really liking those.
[/quote]

I hear ya. I basically got my 74’ twin for $150 due to a damaged cabinet and speakers. The chassis was Super clean unmolested. So without that steal of a deal it would have been tough to pull off. Unfortunately I had to sell my SMS/1160 combo, and I won my fantasy football super bowl!$$!! All worth it tho!
Last edited by Gr8fulCadi on Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gratefulredhead liked this
 #159851  by Gr8fulCadi
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:42 pm
milobender wrote:
I don't know about the 60-100w idea for D120s... You do remember that Garcia changed to the Ks because he kept blowing Ds up, in a Twin. From what I understand, the rating is fuzzy, because it depends on the frequency... the lower the frequency, the hotter things get. I heard the rating for a D was 35 watts. Yes, using 2 will get by, especially if you don't play loudly, but to be safe, I'd use the Ks.
The sweetest D’s from what I’ve read had the paper surround but were not really geared for the abuse that a twin could dish out. Then they came out with a cloth surround and different cone which up’d the wattage. So many little changes, so little firm evidence of when all this took place.
 #159852  by milobender
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:56 pm
I use a kit from Sound Speaker Repair, that is a pretty faithful reproduction of the early Ds. They offer the later type too. But I've been very happy with their old style, fairly expensive but well worth it.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #159856  by WokeUpDead
 Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:20 pm
milobender wrote:
He did say they were reconed with later oem jbl kits and that brought them to a higher power rating. Maybe with the E kit? I'm pretty sure that's the only oem kit that's been available for a long time. Could be wrong about that. . I have two d110's that were reconed with the E kit.