#5967  by caspersvapors

is this correct? is there another way to play this?

was just looking at View from the Vault III and Jerrys fingering doesnt look anything like the one shown on here

#5986  by strumminsix

Short answer, yes it is correct. Remember, the diminished 7th repeats every 4th interval and has more than one way to finger it. Plus, the fat man loved to noodle all the time so he may have done something to support the noodling.

#6090  by caspersvapors

ok Im not really that good with music theory (only been playing a few months) so Bo7 is the diminished 7th in the scale? and it repeats every 4th interval (dunno what that means)

#6092  by strumminsix

I wrote this to a friend of mine a month back.
Read it carefully and it will help you!!!
It will answer your question towards the end.

Here's a guitar trick I picked up a few months back and wanted to share it with you…

It's based on the diminished 7th chord.

Let's look at the C scale:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Major chords is based on 1 & 3 & 5th notes in the scale.

A C major is: C E G

First we add the 7b (flat) so our chord is now C E G Bb

Now to diminish a chord is to flatten all the notes except the root which leaves us C Eb Gb Bbb (yes, it is technically a double flat) or A

Stay with me cuz here's the part 1 of the trick, a Cdim7 is also a Ebdim7 (D#dim7) and a Gbdim7 (F#dim7) and a Adim7

So anytime you shape that one diminished chord you know the shape of 3 others!

So, here's an easy fingering, start by making a standard open D7 (but don't use your index finger)

E --2-----
B --1-----
G --2-----
D --0-----

Now instead of open D string use your index finger and fret the Eb

E --2-----
B --1-----
G --2-----
D --1-----

And what you've done is made a diminished7 of C, Eb, Gb and A!

Now here is part 2, move up the fret board a 1/2 step and you've created the dim7s of: C#, E, G & A#

Move up another half step: D F G# B

One more: C D# F# A <----- sound familiar? See the trick? When you move up 3 half steps you are back at the beginning!

Hope this helps in your learnings.
Last edited by strumminsix on Mon Jun 12, 2006 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#6094  by tigerstrat

It's actually every min 3rd interval and it means that all the notes in any dim7 chord repeat themselves every 3rd fret, in this case B, F, Ab, D... go up 3 frets and it becomes D, Ab, B, F and so on.

#6264  by strumminsix

Thanks, TS. I'm still trying to refine my theory so that kinda help is greatly appreciated!

#6265  by caspersvapors

but yeah I forgot to post that I found an easier fingering

e--
B-3
G-1
D-3
A-2
E--
 #25703  by kenneybonz

that chord really makes the china doll sound great.. and this may be a classic dumb question, but does this chord repeat itself after the 12th fret? does it do so in the exact same way?
it seems like part of me wants to play the chords at the top of the neck and the rest wants to play the e , f , g and a around the 7-12 th frets ( i was using chord finder to make the chords correctly and dig the sound i was making... dicking around with palm muting and with the phaser... so, if i wanted to make the Bo7 up there do i do it just the same way? starting on the 13th fret, right???
i hate to ask such dummy questions, but i really do appreciate you folks helping me out.. as i've said before, i've come a long way in a hurry.. i'm still choppy and slow sometimes but that is mostly a practice issue.. so thanks in advance for answers to my latest dumb question... :P

#25705  by frankielee

Thanks strum and tigerstrat...thats really cool...Kinda why i joined this community...help and tips like that are highly appreciated!..."Just a little nervous from the fall."
 #25724  by kenneybonz

strummn and casper, i don't understand those posts.. it might be too far above where i am at, but when you talk about fingering those chords, i can see you aren't talking about placing fingers on say the first fret that way, because you can't do that , right? i mean i can't put the 3rd first and the 1st and second after that.. i could bar with my index and use my remaining fingers..
so what does what you are poisting mean in terms of fingerpositioning?

#25735  by strumminsix

The #s I wrote were what fret.

#25743  by shakedown_04092

Kenneybonz:
Now instead of open D string use your index finger and fret the Eb

E --2----- <pinkie
B --1----- <middle finger
G --2----- <ring finger
D --1----- <index finger
 #70499  by zambiland

The other cool thing about a o7 chord is that if you lower any one of the chord tones, you get a dominant 7th chord. Pat Martino based a lot of harmonic theory on this concept. So, each o7 chord is really 4 dom7 chords. It's pretty obvious if you look at the fact that there are two tritones in the chord and each tritone can be looked at as a 3rd and 7th or a 7th and a 3rd because of the tritone substitution theory. IOW, a G7 chord has a tritone between F and B, which could also be seen as the tritone serving as the fulcrum for a Db7 chord (where it looks like a Cb and F).

Diminished chords are very cool!

Edwin