#59981  by Billbbill

I:
Jack Straw - Nice opener - first jam seems extended from how it "used to be" and verged on noodling. 2nd jam had some punch by warren w/ some nice phrasing.
Brown-Eyed Women - Nice
Baby Blue - thought it was queen jane at the start - I need te jg style coloring on this - seemed somewhat flat
Easy Wind - This was nice. Warren sings so well (no offense Bob & Phil) and is easily got the most bluesy vocal punch - At times throughout the show seemed like he was channeling Brent. Even a bit eerie at times. Nice jam before the last verse that stretched it out a bit and strayed from bluesy to spacey before being hauled back.
Death Don't Have No Mercy - This was good and had a little punch as well but never quite mustered the fluidity to throw it over the top for me.
Don't Ease - Standard. Nice keyboard solo by Jeff tho I miss the brent style organ line
Lost Sailor > Saint of Circumstance - Performed well, no mistakes, but flat and kinda empty. Warren was low in the mix and didn't seem to be up to much. Need that added color throughout on this

II:
Acoustic:

When I Paint My Masterpiece - missed this - my friend said it was good
Peggy-O - caught the last half - was nice
Looks Like Rain - Bit of a surprise (for me anyway) here though a pleasant one. Don't believe there was a verse of lead for warren here. End jam was OK and (not to sound like a broken record but...) could've used some of those signature jg style licks here - you know the ones.

Electric:
Alabama Getaway
- this was good - Warrens vocals shine on this - to and A jam where I can smell DS.
Dark Star > Pretty good - some nice jamming although a little "safe". You know what I mean?
Drums >
Space > Was wandering around during this - seemed long and friends complained of same
Knockin on Heaven's Door > Nice if somewhat uneventful
GDTRFB - Easily the highlight of the show - each repeated lead progression from Jeff through Warren ratcheted up the taos nicely - Definitely got a few "Woo Hoos" outta me. Coming out of the jam a near train wreck as warren seemed to fumble the lyrics and the whole program kinda groped at holding the "E" jam while warren got it together, but it didn't matter to me 'cause I was smiling wide. :-)
E: Touch of Grey - Warren does a nice job if somewhat standard - was hoping for Lovelight somewhere as there was a serious tease in DS, especially Phil & Bob - but alas, wasn't to be.

Overall kinda what I expected, I'll give it a 7.8 out of 10. No glaringly bad stuff but not enough envelope pushing either, for me.

As I've maintained with just about every other post jerry configuration, I need the lead guy, whoever it is, louder!!!!!!

Can't say that enough. One of my friends even turned to me and alluding to 'back in the day' said "bob was never louder than jerry". True that, though since it's no longer jerry, is it possibly by design? Maybe but I'd rather have the lead guy louder in the mix.

Izod for me next, next tuesday.
 #59984  by Scott Bardolf

Pretty darn good account of what went on last night! On paper this show is AEWSOME! Being there and taking part in it made for a nice night out. How do you botch the second verse of BEW with a digital teleprompter in front of you? Come on Bobby, surrender those Jerry tunes to Warren! Baby Blue in first set is a BUZZ KILL! Same for DDHNM! Lost Sailor> St. of Circumstance made my night until the transistion, Warren was not familiar w/ this, still, made my night!

Set breaks are WAY TOO LONG! Materpiece was nice, brought me back to 19 years earlier, 3/29/90 Many shades of spring Nassau '90... Jack Straw, Masterpiece, LLR, Knockin' on Heavens Door, Dark Star..... Lovelight Tease in there.

If your looking to hear Jerry note for note, you will be disappointed! If your looking to hear some good music with a bunch of Nitrous inhaling, beer swilling, cigarette smoking dope fiends then this is the place to be, so that's why I'm off to MSG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
 #59990  by Billbbill

Scott Bardolf wrote:How do you botch the second verse of BEW with a digital teleprompter in front of you? Come on Bobby, surrender those Jerry tunes to Warren! Baby Blue in first set is a BUZZ KILL! Same for DDHNM!
Good catch scott - how'd I forget that. Don't like bob on this either. Give it & others to warren

I'm not as much a stickler for first set second set stuff. BB didn't do much for me period though I LOVE the tune.
Scott Bardolf wrote: If your looking to hear Jerry note for note, you will be disappointed! If your looking to hear some good music with a bunch of Nitrous inhaling, beer swilling, cigarette smoking dope fiends then this is the place to be, so that's why I'm off to MSG!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
lol! nitrous was, um shall I say, not easy to miss! p/l scene was cool - the vendor alley was outta control. In a good way!

Yea, I hope no one is looking for note for note jg - I was just hoping for a coupla those signature riffs like at the end of LLR.
 #59992  by confusions_prince

All I hear is complaining about Space. Is it relevant? I see more purpose in letting the drummers step out every show...
 #59993  by ronster

Looks like a similar set as the DC show I caught except without the sound issues and no double drums with endless space. I agree 100% that Warren should be singing the JG tunes and his guitar needs to be turned up and Bobby's down in the mix. Maybe they should also hire MrBill to add in signature JG riffs on top of Warrens playing. Would be nice if Bob turned things over to Warren as these shows are a little to close to being ratdog shows but that will probably happen when they hire BillBill or hell freezes over.
 #59994  by ronster

All I hear is complaining about Space. Is it relevant?
Is what relavent, the space or the complaining about space?
Space is relavent when your 20, on shrooms and JG is in the house, not the case when I caught them so 86 the space
 #60001  by wisedyes

The set breaks are probably that long because, um Phil is 69, Billy 65, Mickey 65, and Weir 61? It's amazing that they're able to do this at all, so if they need to huff some oxygen for 40 minutes or so in between, I think we have to cut them some slack there. I mean, I'm only :shock: 43, and I can't imagine maintaining that kind of pace for more than a couple of days anymore.
 #60005  by confusions_prince

ronster wrote:
All I hear is complaining about Space. Is it relevant?
Is what relavent, the space or the complaining about space?
Space is relavent when your 20, on shrooms and JG is in the house, not the case when I caught them so 86 the space
I meant to ask if space was relevant, not the complaining. If I was complaining about complaining, I'd be my own problem.
 #60015  by czyfingers

I agree with ronster....put Bill in the lead spot, turn bob down a bit and we all got what we wanna hear. Seriously, Bob is WAY to loud in the mix and it does at times sound painfully like ratdog, minus the hideous saxophone. I guess we shouldn't complain, but a few Jerryish licks here and there would go a long way.