#55411  by wisedyes

Besides, DaVinci was a lefty. Anyhow, I've waited for awhile to chime in on this because "fuck the Dead" kind of makes it sound like we're supporting necrophilia, but never mind.

I see it as these four guys have tons of history with each other, are closer than many real brothers will ever be, and still sound good together. So why deny them? If they want to do it, and there is still an audience out there for them ( which there does appear to be ), then who are we to say "fuck them"? WE do not have to go if we don't want to.

Honestly, in this day and age spending $125.00 or so for two tickets to a top drawer act is not bad at all. You will pay almost that much just for P&F or Ratdog. And, with Warren, while obviously he is not Jerry, he will still play very professionally and with a lot of soul. They will most likely sound better than the real deal Dead did the last few years before Jerry checked out, and they will be playing tunes that most of us wish that there had been a chance of hearing while Jerry was still alive.

As far as the internecine squabbling of recent years, let's be honest: that has totally to do with the change in the Grateful dead business model, and very little if anything to do with personalities or personal vendettas. There was no more steady tour income, but still payroll to meet and expenses to pay. The model changed and there was disagreement over how best to handle it. Digital downloading of soundboards did take away a potential source of revenue for them - and a band needs to have some business acumen in order to survive five years, let alone 40. So cut them some slack - it was uncharted water with a lot of rocks to hit, there was bound to be some head-butting.

Myself, I'm pumped - I think everything I've heard sounds pretty good. True, the State College show had some rough spots in the transitions, etc, but I'm sure that much of that will get ironed out. Besides, aren't the warts part of what we love about them anyway?
 #55470  by warrenMFKNhaynes

High Peaks wrote:Thats capitalism, and Jerry would have loved it.

I'm sorry, what? Jerry would have loved capitalism? really?

Jerry could care less about the money. :roll:
 #55473  by Chuckles

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

I suppose he came out with a line of neckties because he was so into fashion...
:lol:
 #55474  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Chuckles wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

I suppose he came out with a line of neckties because he was so into fashion...
:lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rM64QhtDWGo&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rM64QhtDWGo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

just see what he says at 1:35
 #55475  by Chuckles

:lol: <-- laughing guy... being funny. Jerry/fashion... hah hah?

I don't undestand people who think they have to preserve some Garcia legacy they feel bound to defend (not to mention define). Jerry's been dead for 13 years, so the point is pretty moot to me.

As the clip points out, he was all about the music. And the rest of the boys want to go out on the road and make some more. Good for them. Like Jerry said about the neckties and scarves, there's no good reason not to...
 #55488  by strumminsix

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

Jerry has wanted to band to sell out for 20 years according to his interview on Letterman
 #55490  by warrenMFKNhaynes

strumminsix wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

Jerry has wanted to band to sell out for 20 years according to his interview on Letterman

I can't tell if you're joking or not, sarcasm isn't as easy to pick up via-internet.
 #55496  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

I've read a ton of the books on Garcia. Jerry had a very professional attitude about his craft, that being "pay me my fucking hard earned money." Jerry's heroes like Freddie King, Miles Davis et al etc, all those guys had to work their nootz off for what money they made. Don't think Jerry didn't understand nor care about that.

Much like a jazz cat, Jerry was always playing gigs. Dead, JGB, Old and In The Way, etc. It wasn't just a passion for him, it was his profession.

In case you missed the memo, not a lot of free shows in there.

I suppose he liked BMW's because they were ergonomic, artistic, and utilitarian? No, he liked nice shit. He liked capitalism, he liked money. There I said it. I imagine if you sang the line from Jack Straw "We used to play for silver now we play for life.." he'd probably laugh and say how amusing fiction can be.
 #55500  by jonarobb

That persian heroin ain't cheap either. I wonder if Garcia's stock portfolio contained anything from Reynolds Aluminum.
 #55501  by High Peaks

Look. I see my post has pissed someone off. I also have read a lot of the material out there, and i guess to some degree I am the equivalent of a GD trekkie :shock:

I appreciate the history. they were there for the kool aid tests, there for the huge counter culture movement( even if they blew the scene when it got to crazy with the influx of street kids and media). They were truly a group more than the sum of their parts. They were all intelligent men, and loved to play.

Also the music really hit me when i heard it as a teen.( the Blodder i was on didnt hurt!!) To this day, whenever i am down i always crack a smile when i listen to a smokin show. The GD truly are the soundtrack of my life. For that i love the band.

All that being said,, They are human. Not only that, they were openly flawed people.( if selfishness, drug use, and immaturity are flawed traits--open to debate) I don't blame them for it.

On top of that, they all had kids. Anyone who has kids knows you would do anything for them. Even "sell out"whatever the hell that means. College, in Jerry's case support, all that shit adds up.

So i still stand by my earlier comment, Jerry would have loved it.

BTW that video clip was depressing. He was strung out there. I wanted to cry. Listen to the interviews from the 60's, 70's and 80's. He was so articulate and sharp. What a shame. I really miss the Big guy!!!
 #55517  by weirimpressed

How are you going to say "Fuck the Dead" when they are obviously a huge part of the music you listen to. If they want to charge 100 a ticket, then, they can charge a 100 a ticket. Who knows how many times they are going to do this again, if they ever do. Take it or leave it, don't cuss them about it because you dont have or dont want to spend 100 to see them.

My two cents.

Go Dead! :cool:
 #55520  by strumminsix

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

I can't tell if you're joking or not, sarcasm isn't as easy to pick up via-internet.
Jerry was a capitalist plain and simple and wanted the band to be a financial success.
 #55526  by warrenMFKNhaynes

strumminsix wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

Jerry was a capitalist plain and simple and wanted the band to be a financial success.

hahahahaha :lol:
 #55545  by strumminsix

warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:

hahahahaha :lol:
Such an intelligent counter-point.