#55558  by wisedyes

Well, yeah - generally, musicians do not get "rich", or at least not overnight. Entertainers, on the other hand, that loosely use music as their vehicle, can get absolutely mind-blowing stinking rich. Very rarely do you see true musicians that actually put out real music ( and I know that the definition of "real music" can be widely interpreted ) get filthy stinkin' rich. Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Springsteen, Sting, Paul Simon, people like that come to mind. But notice how almost all rich "musicians" had to make it back in the 60's and 70's when popular music could still be actually "musical"?

I mean, Britney Spears or Rhianna most likely have bigger checkbooks than God these days, but suggesting that their first priority is to be the absolute best, most skilled and accomplished musician they can be is a stretch. I'm sure they spend some time on it, but I'd bet dollars to donuts that they worry way more about their looks, dance choreography, video production values, etc. The music is incidental to the "product".

But real musicians? See any super rich jazz cats in your neighborhood?
 #55561  by CountryMile Cadillac

It's not too often I think of Britney Spears and the Dead at the same time. But it jarred my memory of the the Dead in the late 60's on that tv show, where they had to lip sinc a tune or two. Phil was apparently really pissed about it and played a broom stick as his bass...
 #55563  by hotasaPistol

What I don't get is if you aren't a capitalist how do you make a living

Drug dealers, the people in the parking lots at shows everyone is hustling somehow someway

If not then I want to know your secret and hope that it is not an entitlement mentality or welfare or god forbid like the people who though because Obama got elected they don't have to pay their mortgage or bills or tires for their cars...whatever else that woman said....communism so far has seemed a failure to me...the government ain't gonna bail you and me out..Work hard and grab what you can get because if you don't some else will...one man gathers what another man spills... :mad:

Flame on

Pistol
 #55577  by warrenMFKNhaynes

strumminsix wrote:
warrenMFKNhaynes wrote:
strumminsix wrote:
Such an intelligent counter-point.
i thought you were intentionally being sarcastic because of what I said.
 #55584  by wisedyes

Okay, okay, no more fucking the dead. Go get yourself a live girl why don't ya? sheeeeesh...
 #57502  by Mister Charlie

I hate the title of this string, but I am not sure the board needs a new one about The Dead.

I previously wrote nearby that The Dead (not the Grateful Dead) was not, in my humble opinion, as entertaining as DSO and, furthermore, the Obama concert sounded horrible on YouTube. I took some heat for both suggestions, which I respect and understand. Thanks.

Now, below is a link to The Dead rehearsing for the Spring Tour! Totally what was needed!! I previously stated on this fine board that The Dead failed to do so for the Obama concert and someone tweaked me with a "how do you know they didn't practice?" which was a fair question because I just was throwing that bone out there. This clip below is really good and for the first time i am fired up for the tour this spring. Hate the tickets prices but my kids basically said I had no choice so we are at Nassau, Philly and MSG.

Here is the link. Long Live Jerry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfMyTNveCQc[youtube][/youtube]
 #59496  by raised by dead heads

Yes tickets are way too expensive. Yes purchasing tickets by frantically surfing the web on the day they went on sale is fucking annoying. And yes, sending away for tickets in the mail and crossing your fingers is not fun either. But i dont think the other ones sat down one day and said, "hey we should charge an exorbitant amount of money and become rich". Ticket prices change by venue, its not the dead raising prices, its the asshole show promoters and jerkoff corporate music execs trying to milk the dead for all they are worth. Granted the dead could be cool and demand twenty dollar tickets or whatever price, but i'm sure that would be a huge problem with whoever is in charge of putting on the show. 100bucks is a lot of money but pay up its the dead. Cyall at MSG and in philly!
 #59948  by kenneybonz

I loved them and thought they had the best sound as a group since jerry croaked.. so I was freakin delighted to see what shows I saw and I'd do it again in a second... but that utube piece was awesome, so thanks...
 #60139  by EsteemedLocomotive

If you must Fuck the Dead, sow some respect and wear a black condom.