#55159  by willmusic

China Cat wrote:HP - if you actually read my post youd get to the point where they all sold out extremely fast after coming out at 50$/per (not cheap) and now its at the point where people are paying hundreds of dollars to see them one night. If the dead charge $100 right out off the bat, sure its steep, but if it discourages some then they wont sell out as fast and people like us will only end up paying $100 dollars.

fairly certain that my third sentence of my post said they were 50 bucks. its also pretty clear on the official phish link from the website you listed that all tickets are SOLD OUT and therefore NONE remain for $49.50.

I see what you're saying and it's an angle to consider. And yes you're definitely right about the fact that those 49 dollar Phish tix are going for anywhere from the hundreds to the thousands now. Doesn't take more than a quick look around to see that. In fact I went for Dead tickets well after presale began and got em for just over 50 bucks each. I toured extensively with Phish including 3 full fall tours and 4 full summer tours.... I love Phish!! But I knew a chance at any of these first comeback shows was all but impossible. Of course I tried for Hampton. It's in my backyard. And the sillyness that ensued was sort of comical, kind of upsetting, and not at all unexpected. I knew that Phish tix were gonna blow up bigger and quicker. Dead tix to a way lesser extent. And China Cat may be in the right ballpark, because among the people I know anyway, most are willing to pay the 50 to 100 for the Dead, but are avoiding the Phish insanity altogether.
 #55164  by bodiddley

This is the part when I can say I'm glad I don't care about seeing them again. Hell, I'd rather go check out Phish, (and I don't even like them).
 #55165  by strumminsix

Really? Is there a point to this thread? I'm half tempted to lock this thing.

This is a GD musician forum not the nearby empty psychiatric couch that requires filling.
 #55172  by strumminsix

Agreed. There is already a ticket price thread. Continue discussions there.
 #55270  by China Cat

FWIW i just told a friend who has seen/tried to see numerous "classic rock reunion shows" (not that i find the dead to be classic rock, but it is a similar type of event) that my ticket cost $95 and he was amazed it cost that. all of the other bands' who have done this type of thing have charged double that in many cases.

definitely not a cheap ticket by any means but hey, it might be the last time i ever have an opportunity to see them and it will be the first so i have to spring on this opportunity.
 #55272  by Mister Charlie

I respectfully suggest we tone down the anger a bit. The big picture includes the fact that they let “us” tape shows for free and kept ticket prices reasonable during the 80s and 90s when they could have charged a lot more. While $100 is steep, I believe it is below that charged by other big name shows.

I just hope they have the decency to practice before going on tour this time. The Obama Rocks show sounded pretty horrible on You Tube.

Also, I hope they stick to the Original Recipe. I think most dead heads want to hear what they heard when Jerry was alive. If Mickey Hart has a mike and starts singing Fire On The Mountain, then I want my $100 plus a penalty fee from them. LOL

I have a negative outlook on these shows. I am just going because of two kids who want to see the band. The three of us love Dark Star Orchestra, which I believe delivers a show which is much closer to the Original Recipe than what can be achieved by the Dead. In my book, if you want to hear the Grateful Dead, go to Dark Star Orchestra. That being said, I hope to be proved wrong this spring tour by Bobby, Phil and Co.

Long live Jerry!!
 #55294  by mttourpro

Mister Charlie wrote:

I just hope they have the decency to practice before going on tour this time. The Obama Rocks show sounded pretty horrible on You Tube.

I have a negative outlook on these shows. I am just going because of two kids who want to see the band. The three of us love Dark Star Orchestra, which I believe delivers a show which is much closer to the Original Recipe than what can be achieved by the Dead. In my book, if you want to hear the Grateful Dead, go to Dark Star Orchestra. That being said, I hope to be proved wrong this spring tour by Bobby, Phil and Co.

Long live Jerry!!
I have to wonder how people "know" about their practicing habits before PennState. There's a vid that shows them rolling over slipknot, but other than that, how does anyone know whether and/or how much they practiced? Did they say they didn't practice somewhere?

Beyond that, IMHO, they played that show pretty well. At least I thought so and I was pretty *sober* for the most part. The setlist was excellent and they pulled most of it off pretty well---granted there were they occasional lost momentum spots here and there, but then again, they were doing some tough songs too. I also think the gig was kind of a test to see if they even wanted to do another round of shows and to raise money for Obama rather than an attempt to simply sound like they did when Jerry was alive.

Truckin'~>
U. S. Blues
Help On The Way~>
Slipknot!~>
Franklin's Tower
Playin' In The Band~>
Dark Star
St. Stephen
Unbroken Chain~>
The Other One~>
Throwin' Stones~>
Jam~>
Playin' In The Band
Encore:
Phil Donor Rap
Bob's Political Statement
Touch Of Gray~>
Not Fade Away

As for DSO somehow being more of an "Original Recipe than what can be achieved by the Dead." and

"In my book, if you want to hear the Grateful Dead, go to Dark Star Orchestra."

Isn't that an oxymoron?

Where's it written that a band's sound/syle and performance cannot change over the years? Didn't the Grateful Dead also change a bit from say the 70's to the 80's to the 90's?

Who'd want to hear them sound exactly like they did in 65 and 66?

Not trying to flame, but it's seems weird to me that any cover band is gonna be "better" than the original.
 #55318  by Mister Charlie

Yeah, I am out on a limb saying Dark Star Orchestra is better than the Dead. But, I am hearing that from a lot of people: friends, family and strangers I meet at shows. And these are all folks who saw 100+ Grateful Dead shows.

It's an individual preference at the end of the day and I respect anyone's opinion to the contrary.

We are blessed by all the musicians keeping the music alive. What has worked for Bach and Mozart is working for Garcia.
 #55322  by willmusic

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:Me, i'd rather look at a nice print of the Mona Lisa as opposed to a very good original imitaion

Wait, does that mean you'd like to see a DSO tribute band or something :?: :?: :?: :?: That took me for a loop. OK....wait....isn't a nice print the same thing as a very good imitation :?:
 #55331  by tigerstrat

Mister Charlie wrote:Yeah, I am out on a limb saying Dark Star Orchestra is better than the Dead. But, I am hearing that from a lot of people: friends, family and strangers I meet at shows. And these are all folks who saw 100+ Grateful Dead shows.
The Dead as opposed to the Grateful...?? Dead?
willmusic wrote:
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:Me, i'd rather look at a nice print of the Mona Lisa as opposed to a very good original imitaion

Wait, does that mean you'd like to see a DSO tribute band or something :?: :?: :?: :?: That took me for a loop. OK....wait....isn't a nice print the same thing as a very good imitation :?:
The analogy would be listening to a recording of actual GD vs than attending a live invocation of same through imitative performance. I agree the original cannot be beat, but no matter how much recorded Jerry & Co. leaves even the most excellent tribute bands in their dust, it's still not happening right now, live, being shared by 150 people or 2000 people (or 5!)in the present... not usually anyway. I guess I have seen people get up and dance en masse at a Sunshine Daydream screening , but that was at the Field Trip '02, the anniversary. Damn I miss Jerry so much. G'night
 #55381  by Rusty the Scoob

A better analogy would be a print or copy of the Mona Lisa vs. a lesser painting by Leonardo - with his right hand missing or a serious brain injury.

The print is a nice SBD recording.
The well-executed copy is DSO.
The Dead is the lesser painting by the original artist.

All have value, but none are the original Mona Lisa.
 #55400  by Chuckles

Rusty the Scoob wrote:
A better analogy would be a print or copy of the Mona Lisa vs. a lesser painting by Leonardo - with his right hand missing or a serious brain injury.

The print is a nice SBD recording.
The well-executed copy is DSO.
The Dead is the lesser painting by the original artist.

All have value, but none are the original Mona Lisa.
Yes, but at auction the hands down winner is the other Leonardo painting.
:smile: