#10292  by jck_strw

[f] wrote:Here's my video of a closer version of bobby's part in the intro to Chinacat.

http://frazer.eddyizm.com/chinacatsunflower.avi

I know it may differ, and some in the forums say they know how bobby played it "for a fact" (not sure how they know such things)...but whatever, it's closer than eds version and will be of more use to beginners who want to learn this great song.
Very nice, I like that way that sounds.

Thanks for sharing.

#10293  by ebick

[f] wrote:You can tell ed
You did that yourself. I monitor these forums regularly. Let me say/clarify a few things.

1) I think [f]'s version is very good and closer than what I have.

2) Contrary to what may be perceived, I do not fancy myself a great guitar player. I spent three years at Western CT ST U, and while it is no Berkley school of music, it is a school where many kids with real musical talent go (or at least they did when I went there). I knew before, and had it solidly confirmed there that I wasn't going to put any food on the table with my guitar. Long story short, I am not shocked, insulted, embarrassed or threatened when I find someone who plays something better than I do.

3) This site contains interpretations of tunes that for the most part, I have worked out. Sprinkled in there are things I have learned from folks over the years, including things I changed when "corrections" were submitted to me when I was hosting the site. In fact, that was why these forums came to be. I no longer host the site, but Gregg and I wanted a way for people to say, "Hey, I do this differently, and here is how". As I have said a number of times, the purpose for having this site was to provide myself with a repository that I could go back to if I hadn't played a song in a long time and forgot how it went. If other folks could benefit from that, well, allright.

4) I have been listening to the Dead since 1977. I have been playing Dead music since I was a teenager. Based on that, and the number of hits that this site gets and has gotten, I feel pretty comfortable in saying that what is posted here is generally correct. As I stated in #2, I am not surprised when someone has a better interpretation. However, there's a right way and wrong way to present it. They way jonarobb did it is a text book example of how NOT to do it. That was his first (and I believe only) post. He essentially came in, took a shit in the room, and left. No one benefitted from his comments. [f]'s more diplomatic approach, accompanied with backup for his position is the right way, and I'm totally fine with it.

5) [f], Please provide the tab for your version and we'll put it out there.

6) I'm tired and going to bed. Good night.

Ed

#10294  by LazyLightnin

i cant get it to play, wtf?

#10296  by Billbbill

Lazy, if this is not what you're already doing, copy the link shortcut and paste it in your media player.

btw - That's pretty much how I play it as well. Maybe a note or two more than I play.

#10298  by shakedown_04092

Hey Frazer Box, can you tab out your version of China Cat?

#10312  by [f]

Hi guys, a version of my tab is in the forums for this song.

Ed, again awesome site, I meant no disrespect.

Lazy, if its not playing you'll need the xvid codec http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

This is seriously one of my all time favorite tunes, to me it's one of the songs that made the dead not just another blues band (lord knows there were enough of them back then) and made them something uncategorizable.

Sorry for the choppy playing on the acoustic, my amp is blown so it was acoustic only, and it's hard to get that great chimy/reverby sound which helps to diffuse the pick attacks. But it also might make it easier to hear every note.