#5523  by chuckpolzin

hey guys i was just wondering how bobs riff in this as seen on the tab page fits into the mixolydian mode in G, i am a newbie to this mode stuff and for all the various patterns i have found in that position nothing even includes the 11th fret as a possible note location,

i know these riffs dont always have to fit exactly but for some reason it sounds basic and logical enough to fit,

I would just like some insight into how this riff could fit a pattern, because as a beginner I am trying to work within patterns only to understand the fundamental notes before i can learn how to take notes that arent always found in a scale etc,

any clarification on why this riff is mixolydian in nature etc would be awesome, or any images of the fret board or mode pattern that shows how this riff fits would be great, thank you

#5532  by sarraqum

Mixolydian G is quite simple really, it only uses major notes in this order:

G A B C D E F G

A little insight into the whole scale thing, half steps and full steps. Full steps appear after notes G, A, C, D and E. Its basically sharp and flat notes. Half Steps appear after notes B and E, these are notes that don't have sharps. If that makes sense read on, if not go to the next paragraph.....Half steps are more or less what creates a scale. With mixolydian scale half steps appear after 3rd and 6th notes and thats how those patterns are created. So to play mixolydian G scale in second position, i.e, starting from G on 3rd fret on top E string, you'll need to play half-steps after 3rd and 6th notes.

Now, how does it all fit into Chinacat? Well, Bobby does sort of play G mixo scale in a sense that he plays all the major notes apart from that C# on 15th fret on B string but that, I think (and correst me if I am wrong guys) is due to arppegios. Arpeggio is basically playing a chord note by note, and in this case I think its to do with A chord. A chord is made of A C# E, but C# doesn't figure in G mixo scale and is instead replaced by C. playing A C E instead of A C# E gives you A minor instead of A major, so my guess Bobby plays C# to make the song sound happier.....

Phew!

#5533  by strumminsix

Yes, sarraqum, it is the arpeggio.

Bob goes from a G riff to an F then G arpeggios with accents.

#5548  by Billbbill

At the risk of stiring the pot, beating a dead horse, and any other suitable metaphors I can't think about at the moment, I don't believe bob voices the chord triads of F and G in this lick. My take is very close to eb's in the tab section with a slight two note difference over the F. This topic was discussed in one of the other China Cat threads with many different opinions. There, that's my two cents. Carry on.

#5549  by tigerstrat

Two things:

It's not quite mixo... I would call it ambiguously mixolydian/major because it uses every note in both scales except the maj or min 7th.

and

If we are talking about the Bobby's lick over the G vamp of the intro+verse then where does an A maj triad come into the equation? er...waitasec, the 15th of the B is a D, not a C#. But still, where did the A maj come from, unless you are talking about the penulitmatee chord of the bridge??