#116426  by tcsned

I believe we have devolved into an eristic argument. Both bands are great bands, some speak more to one person's subjective view, one speaks to another's. I prefer the Dead, I've seen Phish and listened to them. I liked them but it wasn't my thing. I may go to another show someday because it was enjoyable. Slamming someone's favorite band doesn't serve much of an end IMHO. Though, nice analogy strummin' :lol:

I could come up with a hundred valid reasons why Phish sucks, and the same for the Dead if you're not someone who likes that kind of music it's easy.
 #116427  by Jimaroe

[quote="tcsned"]I believe we have devolved into an eristic argument. Both bands are great bands, some speak more to one person's subjective view, one speaks to another's. I prefer the Dead, I've seen Phish and listened to them. I liked them but it wasn't my thing. I may go to another show someday because it was enjoyable. Slamming someone's favorite band doesn't serve much of an end IMHO. Though, nice analogy strummin' :lol:

Precisely.
 #116430  by Stone

Wow, I didn't mean to start a Dead vs Phish thing cause after all that argument is tits on a boar. I suppose its hard for some people to wrap their mind around the fact that there is another band other then the GD. Personally I went to this show with the mentality of seeing some top grade musicians and was not let down a bit.I feel sorry for anyone comparing the two bands cause that's pretty simple minded. Why not compare them to ABB or Govt mule or blah blah blah blah...... I went to see what Phish was all about not "can they give me that gd feeling" cause to be frank I don't even get that from DSO.

Furthermore, while I love GD and Furthur I personally feel like I graduated that class musically and don't need to be stuck on the GD comparing and defending them to the end. I love it and that's it. But as musicians some of you guys really box in your minds with an only GD mentality. I know wrong board for that ...haha

While I cant wait for the next Furthur or Phish now , show. I also cant wait to see the next Kimock or Derek Trucks show. Its not about one or two band for me anymore as I have grown out of that.
 #116432  by Rusty the Scoob

I'll never figure out why there are so many outright haters in the GD scene spreading negative vibes. Part of the reason I like the hippie scene is to get as far away as possible from that sort of thing.
 #116433  by vwjodyme

Stone wrote: While I cant wait for the next Furthur or Phish now , show. I also cant wait to see the next Kimock or Derek Trucks show. Its not about one or two band for me anymore as I have grown out of that.
It seems like i've only been seeing furthur these past 5 or so years (which I love) so this year I spent my summer concert money on the Allmans. It's my first time seeing them, and I'm pretty excited :cool:
 #116434  by mgbills

Right on Rusty! This has ended up like the f'n Fox news. Personally I have to stop being drawn in.

Peace to all.
M
 #116436  by Stone

vwjodyme wrote:
Stone wrote: While I cant wait for the next Furthur or Phish now , show. I also cant wait to see the next Kimock or Derek Trucks show. Its not about one or two band for me anymore as I have grown out of that.
It seems like i've only been seeing furthur these past 5 or so years (which I love) so this year I spent my summer concert money on the Allmans. It's my first time seeing them, and I'm pretty excited :cool:

Allmans are a great show, Heck Warren and Derek alone are worth the price of admission !
 #117263  by Counterstriker

I really love trey's playing, i've been listening to him a lot lately and i've picked up some cool tricks from him.

What do you guys think of the Joy album? Backwards down the number line and Stealing time from the faulty plan are my favorite tunes off that album.
 #117264  by Staemius

Love Trey - amazing tone - wonderful clean and, of course, that crazy tube screamer sustain from a true hollowbody. I'd love to see more Trey broken down on youtube or elsewhere - surprisingly rather un-mined at this point (compared to Jerry tutorials) - he does have quite a few signature licks and runs but I'll be damn if I can play them yet.
 #117272  by Rusty the Scoob

I think Joy's a great album. You can hear Trey's renewed passion for life all through it, and they really put a lot into it, vs the 2003-2004 era when they were getting a little lazy.

Staemius - here's where the Trey guys hang out. Great site, a little less traffic than here but there's tons of good info. http://www.strangedesign.org/forums/index.php
 #117276  by easytoslip

Rusty the Scoob wrote:I'll never figure out why there are so many outright haters in the GD scene spreading negative vibes. Part of the reason I like the hippie scene is to get as far away as possible from that sort of thing.
srsly
I think I'm going to start wearing a shirt to every show that says "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all."

some ppl oughta have their speaking privileges revoked after a certain amount of shit is allowed to spew forth
Staemius wrote:Love Trey - amazing tone - wonderful clean and, of course, that crazy tube screamer sustain from a true hollowbody. I'd love to see more Trey broken down on youtube or elsewhere - surprisingly rather un-mined at this point (compared to Jerry tutorials) - he does have quite a few signature licks and runs but I'll be damn if I can play them yet.
I have a lot of fun with Emil's Tabs
http://emilstabs.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
you can search songs at left or go by album
Last edited by easytoslip on Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #132229  by FranklinsTower

I have tried to like Phish but I just cant get there. I have two reasons for this but only one is a real problem. The first is that the lyrics just oftentimes really really suck. They suck to the point where I am embarrassed for them. This is the one that is a real problem.

The second reason is not really a problem but just a matter of taste. I can recognize that Trey is really really skilled on his guitar but I cannot stand the style of guitar sound that he chooses. I don't know enough about it to describe it better--- it is a really common sound you hear with guitarists and I just hate the vibe it puts me in. I guess I would call it whiney--the sound trails off to long and it is whiney and makes me feel convoluted and not fresh.
 #132258  by FranklinsTower

jerrys.kids wrote:Wow. Dusted this thread off for your first post huh?!!! Then proceed to hate on phish, their lyrics and Treys tone?? Troll.
I didn't mean to come off negative. I thought my post was gracious enough. The lyrics are pretty embarrassing and childish-- that's really the only thing I said that was critical. The guitar part I admitted is just a matter of taste--- when I said that Trey is obviously very skilled I meant it.