name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #173904  by rzwk71

Hey people, it's good to be here, I'm relatively new to the dead but I like everything so far, currently exploring more of early stuff (65-72), the 66-67-68 years are my favorite so far.

I have a keyboard and damn pigpen is good on keyboards, wish there was an ultimate database of the dead sheets for pigpens early days, whenever I wanna learn something I do this by ear
 #173905  by lbpesq

Well howdy and welcome to the forum! Always room for more on the bus. Some of that early keyboard work is also Tom Constanten who played with the boys ‘68-‘70.

Bill, tgo
 #173906  by rzwk71

lbpesq wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:38 pm Well howdy and welcome to the forum! Always room for more on the bus. Some of that early keyboard work is also Tom Constanten who played with the boys ‘68-‘70.

Bill, tgo
Thanks, yeah, I also think they played with pigpen together at some point
 #173908  by strumminsix

welcome. chords are the same so you should be in the ballpark for the tunes.
 #173909  by lbpesq

rzwk71 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:09 am
lbpesq wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:38 pm Well howdy and welcome to the forum! Always room for more on the bus. Some of that early keyboard work is also Tom Constanten who played with the boys ‘68-‘70.

Bill, tgo

Yea, Pig and TC were both in the band at the same time. TC was a far more accomplished player and often held down keys while Pig played harmonica, or was just singing.

Bill, tgo
Last edited by lbpesq on Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #173910  by Jon S.

Several years ago, I caught TC in a solo acoustic grand piano performance at the Mansion on O Street in DC. His repertoire was almost entirely classical music but he mixed in a few Dead songs. I thought his piano playing was beautiful. After the show, for which there were only about 35 or so of us in attendance, TC held court at his piano and his friendliness and warmth were gratifying.
strumminsix liked this
 #173913  by rzwk71

lbpesq wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:35 am
rzwk71 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:09 am

Bill, tgo

Yea, Pig and TC were both in the band at the same time. TC was a far more accomplished player and often held down keys while Pig played harmonica, or was just singing.

Bill, tgo
I think I read an article somewhere that TC was annoyed cuz they used to give him vox all the time and pigpen had hammond or something