name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #172695  by bugman

Was born, lived a bit, waiting to be Dead.

When I was a kid in the Bay Area, the school bus played KFRC-AM over the speakers. I'd hear Truckin' a lot. But I'd borrow a friend's records and think, "This sounds like Country & Western!", and thus, nothing.

I thought about that Day on the Green in 1976, where the Dead were appearing with the Who.
But my parents were exceedingly strict, and I had no money, and... (excuses, excuses)

Later, I saw the second-to-last show at Winterland (Tubes, Ramones, SVT) and all the Heads were already there, lined up for the LAST show, and being young punks, we disdained them. "Long-haired dirty hippies", etc. Laughing now, because I was tripping at the time.

Later still, I was bored with the extreme music I was listening to (Asmus Tietchens, Merzbow, Zoviet France) so I decided to challenge myself. Many long years of listening to the music of worlds (Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Watazumi Doso Roshi, King Tubby) later, I decided to challenge my self again. Guess who???

So my as my long, strange trip nears its end, I've finally got a friend somewhere. Quite a few of them, I hope. Where's the heart smiley?
strumminsix liked this
 #172696  by Jon S.

For every fan of the Tubes, Ramones, or SVT who disdained the Dead, there's a Deadhead who disdained the Tubes, Ramones, or SVT. In fact, the world and people are inherently diverse and there's plenty of bandwidth for us all.

As someone who happily caught the Dead live many times but sadlly never once the Tubes, Ramones, or SVT, welcome to Rukind!
 #172698  by lbpesq

Hi Bugman, and welcome to the forum. You missed a great show when the Dead opened for The Who at the Oakland Coliseum in October of ‘76. I liked The Tubes. The Ramones did nothing for me. As for SVT, hey, it was Jack’s band. ‘Nuff said!

Bill, tgo