name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #169653  by KirstieTheWolf

Hello! I am kirstie, long time forumite, newly converted deadhead. I have been studying Jerry for a while now and while I am not a Jerry guitarist I am really fascinated with his approach to playing and tone. Lurked for a while and figured I might as well join! The dead isn't really something discussed on my other forum. I hope I can post a little and get to know the community!

I play a fender duo-sonic and an odd partcaster I belive used to be a japanese strat clone but has a fender after market neck. These into a DRRI
 #169658  by Jon S.

Hi, kirstie. Even though you are KirstieTheWolf - and we know wolves lurk - glad to have you posting now.

And as you're from Sweden, here's my personal little bit of Sweden: 1967 Hagstrom Viking I. :rasta:

#169662  by KirstieTheWolf

What a beaut! How is the neck on that one? The Hagströms I've tried have had too skinny necks for my taste so I have stayed away from the rest
 #169663  by lbpesq

Hi Kirstie and welcome to the forum! I, too, have a Hagstrom. An old Hagstrom 1 with the vinyl covering. Sorry, no pic. It’s buried with a bunch of other stuff downstairs, lol.

Bill, the guitar one
 #169664  by Jon S.

KirstieTheWolf wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:10 am What a beaut! How is the neck on that one? The Hagströms I've tried have had too skinny necks for my taste so I have stayed away from the rest
Mine indeed has the very skinny Hag neck of its day. The one with the unique I-bar truss rod (pic below of someone else's guitar). Though when I restored mine, I had it refretted with tall-thin frets which are perfect for this guitar.

I got mine from my parents at age almost 13 (Bar Mitzvah gift). In college, I butchered it into a dual humbucker guitar (2nd pic) and then lost most of the original parts. About 12 years ago, Phil Jacoby at philtone.com restored it for me. It was a tough restoration. He even had to hand-cut replacement asymetrical pickup surrounds due to the earlier HB routing.

It was at that time that I added the authentic, vintage, limited edition, made-by-Bigsby-for-Hagstrom trem bar.

The guitar actually sounds beautiful. The original single coils are, to my ear, Gretsch Spectra Sonic-like - perfect for rockabilly (e.g., see last pic of Elvis with his Hag, though his model is the Viking II). Though, in my case, one of two replacement PUPs I had to find was dead. That was the bridge one. Lindy Fralin custom rewound it for me somewhat hotter than the original.

#169665  by Jon S.

Special bonus pics! Frank is showing the V1 (the model I own). His was stock with the Hag Bigsby (that I added later to mine). Dweezil's V1 (I think it's a vintage model because IIRC only the older ones had fretboard dots) is refitted with humbuckers.