name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #169509  by perchance2dream

First of all, I'm glad to be here!

I'm a younger head, but nevertheless, I'm "deadicated".

As a guitar enthusiast, I'm constantly on a tone and feel chase. I'll be doing a Garcia-style Stratocaster build from Warmoth parts, so I'll be posting updates on that soon!

My current Garcia setup is a '86 Strat, a 2019 PRS (and a couple of more guitars), into a '65 Princeton Reverb Reissue. I've got a ways to go to get the Jerry thing, but I have the previously mentioned Warmoth build with some DiMarzio humbuckers on the way.

Favorite tunes: anything Workingman's Dead, basically anything live '73, '78, or Without a Net.
Favorite Jerry tone: Fall '89 - Spring '90
Made it to: GD Fare Thee Well 7/5/15 at Soldier Field, and D&C 11/7/15, 11/14/17, and 10/31/19 all at MSG.

Exited to talk with some fellow dead aficionados,

From snowy southeastern New York,
- perchance2dream
 #169512  by lbpesq

Hi P2D, and welcome to the forum! It’s always nice to see youngsters joining the ranks. Especially from my old stomping grounds. I grew up in Yonkers and was there the only time the band ever played in the Bronx - Gaelic Park, 1971. The pics I’m seeing of NY snowed in reminds me of my youth when it was a regular occurrence. Stay safe, stay warm, and keep on playin’! You’ll find a lot of good people and great info on this site. And the Guitar Tabs section in the upper right is a wonderful resource.

Bill, the guitar one
 #169513  by Jon S.

Welcome! I'm also a former NY'er (Crown Heights, Brooklyn '57-'63; Canarsie, Brooklyn '64-'69; Massapequa Park, LI '69-'75; Binghamton '75-'79). Great to have you.
 #169550  by wabisabied

Welcome!

When I was doing 89-90 east coast tours, I always envied the older heads who got to see them 12-16 years earlier, as tapes from that era were sort of my yardstick. Through the wonders of the internet, I’ve more recently reacquainted myself with some of those shows I saw and feel like I was luckier to have been there than I realized at the time.

And I’ve been poking around the Warmouth site myself, lately, thinking through a possible build. Will be interested to see how yours goes.
 #169553  by lbpesq

I loved going to shows from ‘71 to ‘95. Perhaps the biggest difference were the venues. Winterland in S.F. and Kaiser in Oakland each crammed in about 5500 total. The Shrine in L.A. held about 6300. Far more intimate than the large sports and outdoor arenas they were playing later in the band’s career. And things got a little weird after “Touch of Grey” became a hit and people just looking to get messed up and party invaded the scene.

You can’t go wrong with Warmoth. I done several builds using their bodies and a couple of necks, too. They do custom work of very high quality.

Bill, tgo
wabisabied liked this