name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #160730  by MindLeftBodhi

I'm Stephen, I've lurked here for a long time and thought I'd finally participate. I've learned a lot about tone and equipment in the Jerry tone forum and although I don't want to build a Jerry rig or replicate his tone it helped me come a long way towards that super articulate, singing early 70's sound.

I was born in '91 so I'm a bit late to the party. I was turned on by Live/Dead after getting into a lot of modal jazz (Coltrane, Miles electric period) and it took me a while to come around to the country side of the Dead's music, I wondered why they bothered playing anything other than "Dark Star". Now after many Dead related shows I've come to love the whole catalog and respect the role each song plays within the set. That said, most of my listening is between '72 and '74 and I rarely go much past '77. I also really love the various Garcia bands and his acoustic work with David Grisman.

I'm fortunate to live in the Bay Area where this music is thriving. I love to go see Phil when he puts together different lineups (no disrespect to the family band). We also have a cool scene at Ashkenaz in Berkeley. Stu Allen plays there almost weekly and they do a GD open mic jam where you can sit in with the house band.

I'm currently trying to get my musical self together. I'm working on recording some of my originals (mostly acoustic) and I've got a couple songs almost done so I'll upload them soon. I'm also looking for some people to play with in the area. I'd like to put together a band to play a mix of originals and covers interpreted in our own way while staying true to the approach of the originals. I just started a youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmQlDY ... T1jZ-Ysjyg there are some videos of me sitting in with the house band at the Grateful Dead open mic at Ashkenaz, and I'm working on some acoustic covers and originals that I'll post as well.

If you read all that, thank you! haha
-Stephen