name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #157696  by RiderWes

Hey now! Another new Canadian here.

I'm also a newly-minted Dead Head! I got drafted in April to fill the keys chair for a one-off reunion gig for a GD cover band named "Hurricane Bob", whose members hadn't played together in a couple of decades. The gig wound up being a reunion of their "Bob" and "Phil", with me, an alternate "Jerry", and an alternate "Bill".

It turns out that taking this gig was one of the best things I've done in my life. The music, man, it's like coming home to a home I never knew existed. I can't say enough about how much I love it. The legion of tapers have made my job both easier and more difficult. I get to listen to dozens of cuts before I decide how I want to play a tune. I love it all, but I'm partial to early Keith and late Brent.

At the end of the one-off gig, we knew it wasn't going to be a one-off, but "Bob" lives 2500 miles from here..so we started a new band, found a new Bob, a new Bill, and we added a Mickey! We're The China Cat Riders.

I'm having the time of my life. The band played its first show last Sunday, and it went WELL. Here's a clip I found on social media this morning --
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=q9MX2DDSQfg[/youtube]
 #157697  by RiderWes

PS - thanks for this great site - between rukind, the Jerry Garcia Songbook and Relisten, I was able to get up to speed on the material quite quickly!
 #159095  by mgbills

Welcome!
And you guys have a great sonic texture for a new-ish band. Great job.