name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #153575  by Jedstein

Hi there, everyone. Been lurking often, occasionally commenting, and pestering a few members privately with Jerry equipment questions, all of whom have been super helpful (and patient), for the past few months. So I thought I should do an introduction. After being pretty out of it musically, for the past 13 plus years due to things such as law school, work, kids, blah blah blah, I got the opportunity to try out for a local Dead Tribute Band here in North/Central New Jersey, and even though I was rusty has hell (to say the least), the awesome guys I'm now playing with, apparently heard enough of a spark to give me a shot, and I'm so damn grateful that they did, as I'm having some of the most fun I've probably ever had playing music.

Even though I'm a life-long fan of the band (been listening to them for well over 25 years), I never really delved into playing the music, despite my reverence for Jerry (I just always played other stuff -- funk, blues, rock etc . . . ). To say I have a lot to learn is quite the understatement. I feel like I could literally practice one song a week for a couple hours a day without getting bored or feeling like I've mastered anything. It can really be quite humbling. But I also feel like I'm making progress all the time -- and can already do things that I never would have thought I could have pulled off a few months back. And the band is happy enough with my progress and commitment, so I'm just pushing forward. I have been really inspired by so many of the great players who are member of this site (and I've listened to many of you). So many of you guys are such killer players with amazing tones (and I don't want to start naming people because my list will invariably be incomplete), but I'll just say that this forum has been such a rich source of information and inspiration -- and has really given me something to shoot for -- in my own playing and tonal refinement.

And my God -- I had no idea before delving into this what a rabbit hole the Jerry equipment universe is. I'm slowly starting to put it together, or at least get it to a threshold point of respectability. I know the tweaking goes on forever . . . .

My current rig:
PRS SE (currently being "Jerryfied" by my old college buddy Andrew Olson (AO Guitars) with the full sweet of electronics including Wado's buffer and Obel) This was what I figured would be the least expensive way of getting a decent Jerry ax. I scored the PRS for $400 (with the case) and while it's not quite as buttery as the Custom 22 I used to own, it plays really well.
73 Silverface (that I also bought from Andrew) -- and later got blackfaced while also removing the head and throwing the speakers into a truckers cab (swapping out one of the originals with a JBL k120 I purchased).
Pedals so far: Earthtone (probably my favorite overdrive of all time), Whirlwind Goldbox, Q-tron (soon to arrive -- thanks for the advice on this Mattman, Waldo, and Mike from Fennario); Analogman Phase 90 hand-wired re-issue (soon to arrive); MXR carbon copy; vox wah.

Thanks again to everyone here who has been so cool about sharing all their tips and information for all things Jerry. I can't imagine where I'd be without the help of this forum.

-Jed
 #153595  by Dwarf Rat

Very cool.

Last summer I had my Blue PRS SE Jerrified with three Dimarzio SD Humbuckers, OBEL, preamp, and push/pull pots for infinite coil variations.

Be sure and see Joe Russo at Brooklyn Bowl in October.
 #153596  by Jedstein

MattMan wrote:Welcome Jed. I've got a 73 Silverface and a modified PRS (S2 Custom 24) too. Love them both. Good luck with the mod.
Thanks, Matt. And thanks for all the great tonal advice on the amp-front and otherwise (envelope filter and phaser as well). I always dig the videos and comparisons that you post.
 #153597  by Jedstein

HeadSpace wrote:Welcome. Where exactly in Jersey are you? Princeton here.
Thanks! I'm up in South Orange. The guys I play with are in Kenilworth, Westfield, Scotch Plains area. Last time I was in Princeton was to see DSO a couple months back. What a show!
 #153598  by Jedstein

Dwarf Rat wrote:Very cool.

Last summer I had my Blue PRS SE Jerrified with three Dimarzio SD Humbuckers, OBEL, preamp, and push/pull pots for infinite coil variations.

Be sure and see Joe Russo at Brooklyn Bowl in October.
Thanks! Glad to meet another PRS guy -- seems like there are quite a few of us on the forum. Happy with the tone you're getting?

Good call on Joe Russo at the BK Bowl. I haven't seen those guys yet -- and but would obviously love to -- and the Brooklyn Bowl is such an amazing venue. It's always been a mystery to me how they they can get the music to sound so good there -- you know, considering that it's a bowling alley!
 #153600  by HeadSpace

Jedstein wrote:
HeadSpace wrote:Welcome. Where exactly in Jersey are you? Princeton here.
Thanks! I'm up in South Orange. The guys I play with are in Kenilworth, Westfield, Scotch Plains area. Last time I was in Princeton was to see DSO a couple months back. What a show!
Sure was! I was there as well...also have caught them in Red Bank a few times over the past couple years. Always a good time.
 #153609  by Pete B.

Welcome, Jedstein!
I'm originally from Cranford, right between Westfield and Kenilworth.
Pete :)
 #153611  by Jedstein

Hey Pete,

Small world! Our keys player is actually from Cranford. Love your videos, by the way. One of the guys in the band sent me the series for Help/Slip recently -- super helpful!

-Jed