name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #173425  by garagesmokes

Hello fellow deadheads and musicians! I'm 43, live in Ohio now, originally from Western NY and have lived all over. Saw my first shows Highgate VT, GIants Stadium, 3 Rivers & Deer Creek in '95. I've been a head ever since. I've been playing guitar causally since I was 13 or so, but have had a few "serious" phases as an adult. Some of my biggest smiles have come playing music with friends. Jerry, Phish, Zappa are all heros but I also make electronic music and dig a lot of hip hop, jazz and country.

My daughters getting older and I've found myself with some free time lately, really admitting to myself that playing Jerrys music is what makes me happiest. A few months ago I dug back in, rediscovering a strat I had laying around that I didn't like at all for some reason when it ended up with me. For whatever reason, when I picked it up recently it just felt great. I had been using a DAW and amp sims for a project I was involved with over the pandemic, but decided to get a decent amp and get this guitar set up. Found a cheap bugera 5w combo, decided to make it a project. Converted the combo to a little 5w head, gutted my old Kustom combo to use as a cab and it honestly sounded good enough to get me excited. I love projects with my instruments and learning proper set up techniques, I wanted to be a luthier when I was a kid.

I've been making minor tweaks to the strat, with a roadmap for lots of fun mods. Planning on building a HT style cab this winter. Made some huge strides in my playing/soloing ability in the past few months, focusing on playing the SONG; soloing over chord tones and shapes and trying to find the melody.

Most nights I play along to some Dicks Picks or JGB in my garage while my adorable wife patiently encourages me and watches baseball lol.

So grateful for this community, Davvy on YouTube, Wladotronics and all the people that have kept this fun thing alive and accessible to cavemen like me!
wabisabied liked this
 #173434  by Cozmik Cowboy

garagesmokes wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:06 pm Hello fellow deadheads and musicians! I'm 43, live in Ohio now,
Hello back at ya, and welcome. I'm from OH myself (left when I was 18 - for the simple reason I couldn't leave when i was 14..........).
garagesmokes wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:06 pmI love projects with my instruments and learning proper set up techniques, I wanted to be a luthier when I was a kid.
I think I enjoy tinkering with them as much as I like playing them; spent some time as a roadie in my youth, so I actually got paid to do it!
garagesmokes wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:06 pmI've been making minor tweaks to the strat, with a roadmap for lots of fun mods.
My 2 fav Strat mods are a jumper so the 2nd Tone works on the middle & bridge p/ups, and a mini-toggle that cuts the neck in no matter where the switch is, so I have all 7 combinations.

Keep playing & keep tweaking (but not tweaking in the meth sense.......)
 #173442  by garagesmokes

Phrygian wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:33 am Let's see your Strat! What are your plans for it?
Needs first: either a refret or a new neck. But I really love this neck. And tomorrow I'm redoing the wiring to clean up the last owners rough work.

Wants: humbucker in bridge with coil split, onboard fet boost with a pot, stickers lol.

Also in the market for an envelope filter, reverb, volume and delay pedals.

Here's some pics. Close ups show fret and fretboard damage and shitty wiring job. Oh and bonus pic of the V5 I turned into a little head.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YKJbeGCQRiLhrygA9
 #173450  by TI4-1009

garagesmokes wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:05 am
What's the best/prefered way to share photos here?
viewtopic.php?f=359&t=12940
garagesmokes liked this
 #173457  by garagesmokes

Phrygian wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 5:38 am I have a MIM Tele. MIM guitars make a good platform for customization. You might not need a refret. A good luthier might be able to level, re-crown and polish.
I'm fortunate to have a few options near my home, I'll be shopping around for their input soon. Thanks tho, I'm not stoked about the cost of a full refret.