#140892  by drkstrcrashes

S0..... Just for the fuck of it, I thought I would try to make a list of GRATEFUL DEAD songs, NOT covers, that the dead played/wrote/did live.... but never released them officially on any LP. Pegg-o for example. Okay, it was recorded around the Garcia solo LP, I think? It's on the bonus materials if you buy the CD now days (at least it's on mine). But never did they actually record it and put it out on an official release. There are many of these songs. Going back to the very early days, I suppose there are many that I am over looking. Like the rub, sing me back home.... though I am thinking those are traditionals. As is GDTRFB. So, I guess we could make a sub list for songs like that (Goin' down the road). Or how about Brent's: Don't need love? Here is a list that I started. I haven't spent too much time thinking about it. Every so often one will pop into my mind, like Tennessee Jed. I am not counting live LPs like Europe '72, so that gives us Brown eyed Women and some others I think. They love Each Other. Yes, was on Run for The Roses (Was that the one?).... but it's in the Grateful Dead catalog. Anyways, mostly I'm looking for songs like Tennessee Jed or My Brother Easua. Here is what I have so far. I know there are a shit ton more..... Anyone feel like playing this stupid game? And okay, I think 'Playin is on Rolling Thunder. But I'm looking for Dead songs not on Studio Dead LPs. He's Gone......
See, I had Not fade Away on the list. That's a Buddy Holly song. Written and recorded by. So, I took that off. I realize there are many songs from the final days that will be on here- Days Between, etc... That is cool. But really I'm curious to find stuff from pre-1985. 1970-1983/84 would interest me the most.
Fill the list friends!

Brown Eyed Woman
They Love Each Other
Peggy-O
He’s Gone
Tennessee Jed
Brother Easua
Playin’ in the Band
Not Fade Away (if you want to count that as a dead song)
 #140894  by ebick

The Eleven
Bertha
Wharf Rat
Jack Straw
Mr. Charlie
Ramble On Rose
 #140897  by drkstrcrashes

GREAT! I knew there was a ton... and I had most of those in my head long ago when I first started thinking about this.... I'm just making you guys help me do the work

CORRINA
Days Between
Liberty
Wave to the wind
Samba in the Rain
Never trust a woman???????????????????

All the other "new" ones that would have been the next LP. There are probably a dozen more "new" ones. (I mean ones started to be played in about 93/94 when I say "new ones.....
 #140903  by TI4-1009

Peggy-o was a (traditional) cover:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bonnie_Lass_o'_Fyvie

Dylan covered it on his first album. Jer carried it over from his folkie days.

NFA is a Buddy Holly song, so it's a cover too.
 #140904  by ebick

HeadSpace wrote:Pretty sure Brother Esau was on In The Dark.
It was weird....it was the b-side of the Touch Of Grey 45, and they included it only (initially) with the cassette....not the LP, not the CD!

But yes, there is a studio Esau.
 #140905  by ebick

How about The Other One?

so, the part that we now refer to as Cryptical Envelopment was in the studio, but "The Other One" was actually based on a live track with studio work done to it afterwards. I think that is actually the case for all of that album.....Born Cross-Eyed, New Potato Caboose, Alligator, Caution.
 #140910  by tcsned

They did record Peggy-O in the studio, I think it was for Go to Heaven. Didn't make the cut though

#140937  by drkstrcrashes

Peggy-o is actually in the BONUS MATERIAL from the CD Go To Heaven from the Box Set "Beyond Description" 1973-1989.
If I'm not mistaken, it was also in the bonus material from one of Jerry's solo LPs. I am 85% sure that the LP was Reflections. Yea, I'm pretty sure.

But, these are all good points. I really forgot about the Other one from Anthem. I keep associating it with skull fuck which I consider a live LP which makes those songs Null and Void for the list I'm after. I know there are a whole shit ton of the new tunes, but Days Between came into my head.

On you tube, a guy did something cool... he made an entire post of what would have been the next Dead LP. Out of some live cuts, some studio cuts and some of the practice sessions... maybe with Dylan. It was pretty cool. The LP would have been another so-so studio LP. Days Between, Lazy River Road and Liberty would be the stand outs for me. I always loved Samba in the Rain. Probably would not have made it to the LP unless they did a double.

what the fuck ever was the deal with the song Corrina? I mean, am I the only one who finds that song to be just plain annoying?

I think the epitome of songs on this "said" list are songs like- Brown Eyed Women, He's Gone, Bertha. How's about Must Have Been the Roses? Was that on a Jerry LP? It's been 25 years, so cut me some slack. I used to be one of those guys who would say, did Jerry have anything at all to do with this music? No? Well then it's not music and I have no interest. Honestly. That was my attitude! Funny.

Now it's songs like Space Fighters from the Planet Morrel! My own grooves. wish I could have been back there with Brian Wilson and Buddy Holly. All you had to do was play the guitar and you were cool. Now you are some type of degenerate if you don't know at least all the open chords. Major and minor. Oh well... I tend to ramble, so....

Bye
 #140938  by drkstrcrashes

oh yea, and ebick, you are exactly right about Easua. I remember when it came out... we were all like where the hell is My Brother Esau? I used to LOVE that tune. The end jam was GREAT! But yea, it was on the cassette (?) and on the B side of "Touch". Considering that LP had when push comes to shove I think they should have swapped that for Esau.
Or how's this for a marketing ploy.... put out 50,000 LPs with Esau then another 50,000 with Push...'
Knowing us drones, we all would have had to have both copies.
 #140939  by ebick

drkstrcrashes wrote:I keep associating it with skull fuck which I consider a live LP which makes those songs Null and Void for the list I'm after.
You have me confused. You listed Brown-Eyed Women in your initial. That was on Europe '72, which is a live album. I thought you were after original songs never recorded in the studio....(there are TONS of covers that meet that criteria)
 #140944  by RiverRat

drkstrcrashes wrote:All the other "new" ones that would have been the next LP. There are probably a dozen more "new" ones. (I mean ones started to be played in about 93/94 when I say "new ones.....
You forgot Lazy River Road
 #140946  by HeadSpace

ebick wrote:
HeadSpace wrote:Pretty sure Brother Esau was on In The Dark.
It was weird....it was the b-side of the Touch Of Grey 45, and they included it only (initially) with the cassette....not the LP, not the CD!

But yes, there is a studio Esau.
That explains it: I bought it on cassette when it came out. In fact, I'm not sure there even were CDs back then.
 #140952  by ebick

HeadSpace wrote: I'm not sure there even were CDs back then.

That was right around the time CD's were coming out and getting popular. I recall thinking how odd it was, with all the available space the CD had, that they did not include it.