#131058  by FarleyA215

I recently went and saw the 1972 show from Oregon...Having always loved the show before I ever found the footage online..Pure 72..My question is..Why wasn't the whole show filmed?? Can somebody answer that???
 #131061  by Charlie

Do you know which songs actually featured in the film?

NB: I read that some serious dosing was happening around the camera crew on the day, which may go some way towards explaining why it's not all oln film.
 #131064  by TI4-1009

My guess is they have film of everything up through Sing Me Back Home. By that point it was getting pretty dark- the film was pretty grainy. No lights at the venue. After that it was still Sugar Mag, Casey Jones, and One more Saturday.

Three sets, two encores, lo-o-o-o-ng show, maybe also required editing to get down to a "reasonable" theater time.
 #131069  by Lunchbox16

David Lemieux has said several times that everything in the latest SSDD release is everything that was recorded. Film stock was very expensive back in the day and they only had so much available film. The whole show was not recorded, nor was it planned to be based on available film stock.

I know Dave was on Tales from the Golden Road right when the Meet Up at the Movies was announced and talked about it then. Last week or the week before (perhaps both) Gary and DGans reiterate this point on Tales as well. You'd have to look up the exact dates yourself, but the info is out there if you're interested.

Cheers!
 #131072  by TI4-1009

Hmmm..... So they have film of the first song, and film of Sing Me Back Home near the end of the third set (and it was getting pretty dark by then). So they just filmed "some" songs through the show and skipped others? Possible.... I guess. Maybe. "OK, we'll film the first song, then skip the next four.." :?:

Too busy filming boobs and Pole Man. "Not that there's anything wrong with that.." :-)

Set 1:
Promised Land
Sugaree
Me And My Uncle
Deal
Black Throated Wind
China Cat Sunflower
I Know You Rider

Mexicali Blues
Bertha

Set 2:
Playin' In The Band
He's Gone
Jack Straw
Bird Song
Greatest Story Ever Told

Set 3:
Dark Star
El Paso
Sing Me Back Home

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:
Casey Jones
One More Saturday Night
 #131074  by TI4-1009

Having said that... from a June David Lemeuix interview at jambands:

Is there going to be different or additional footage than what we’ve seen in the bootlegs?

DL: Yeah. I don’t think you’ve seen “Bird Song,” not in its entirety, for sure. And “Bird Song” has been restored and put back in. Now, the filmmakers, they filmed, luckily, most of the best stuff of the day – “China”>”Rider,” “Dark Star,” of course, “Playing in the Band,” “Jack Straw,” all that kind of stuff — but they didn’t film the entire show. So, everything that was filmed was in there and that now includes the “Birdsong,” which is very cool. It’s very similar in terms of structure to what you’ve seen over the last 20 or 30 years.

It’s still very sunny when they’re playing “Bird Song.” It’s right in the middle of the second set and it’s very, I used this the other day, in talking about it on Sirius, it’s very crisp. It’s a very crisp “Bird Song.” They’re very engaged, and Jerry just punching the bottom end on this thing is incredible. That’s the one thing that always lacking on the circulating audio copies of the show. And the video, of course, has never really had good audio but the bottom end they produce on this is just amazing. So, yeah, big news as you say, big, big news. It’s going to be a great night.
 #172986  by FromWichita

The video at the beginning of Jack Straw - of the Great Dane sniffing and bobbing its head ever closer to the baby holding ice cream, while the baby clearly has no fear of the dog as well as no clue about what's happening while the big though gentle dog scarfs the ice cream without biting and licks what's left from his tiny hand while "We can share the women, we can share the wine" is sung in the background has to be the funniest part of the film. The very delayed reaction as the baby realizes what's happened, and the anguished expression as he returns his hand to his mouth to confirm the ice cream's gone and for the first time making eye contact with the camera... it's perfect.
I wonder who that baby is/was. And if the experience imprinted a distrust of dogs. And if the dog belonged to the baby's family. And whether that baby, after years of growing up, being shown the footage, could possibly remember the event and recognize themselves.