#65161  by Harvestwind

Hi All
I'm an Aussie who is new to site and a big fan of the Dead's music since the mid Seventies, Unfortunately I never got to see them live. They never came to Australia so it wasn't easy. I did make it to San Francisco in 2006 and saw Phil Lesh and Friends at the Warfield, but that's the closest I've come so far.

I've got heaps of albums, CD's and DVDs and get together with a few like like minded souls every so often and jam Dead songs on the acoustics. When I discovered the guitar tabs on this site I thought I'd gone to heaven.

Love reading all the posts about seeing and playing Dead cover bands etc. You guys don't know how lucky you are.
 #65164  by NashvilleMike

Harvestwind wrote:I did make it to San Francisco in 2006 and saw Phil Lesh and Friends at the Warfield, but that's the closest I've come so far.
That trip must have been the best time...going half way around the world to see your favorite band (or what's left of it). Where in Autralia are you from?Welcome mate!
 #65194  by Harvestwind

G'day Nashville Mike
Grew up in Sydney but have been living in Canberra for the past 12 years or so. Canberra is a very underated place and offers a pretty good lifestyle for most residents. Very much a public service town with a population around 320,000. It doesn't have the choice of bigger cities like Sydney or Melbourne but is only a three hour drive from Sydney if you need to kick up your heels.

I play bass and sing in local rock and blues based bands and don't go out of town much because I have a young family but still manage to gig one to three nights a week. Not much Dead in the repertoire but plenty of blues tunes tunes that they also covered. I did sneak Mr Charlie into the set recently and am testing the waters for Truckin'.

The Dead are not that well known in Australia other than to people around my age (54) with a bit of a hippie bent. Others haven't heard of them or think they are a heavy metal band.
 #65209  by Good Times

Welcome :smile: It is nice to see some international heads on here.
 #65212  by NashvilleMike

Everybody likes Mr Charlie...It's fun and easy to dance to.
 #65226  by GratefulPat

welcome welcome