a place for newbies to get quick information to some of the most common questions asked.
 #155579  by Weis guy

So I am building a Jerry Garcia inspired custom. I am using all dimarizio pups ; super 2, super 1, and a tone zone. I am using 3 toggles for coil taps , and am using the EMG PA2 as well. My question is about the 25k volume pot. Is that value in relevance to the OBEL? if i don't install the OBEL; Would i use a 500k volume pot? Or if I install the OBEL can i make it passive and still just use one input jack, even though i have 2 wired? I am trying to get as close as i can to "Jerry's tone/ sound" as I can. The idea of the OBEL is really cool, i just don't think i would utilize that too often. .. Also if you install the OBEL don't you need some mixer pedal....? Any help or information would be gratefully appreciated. Stay grateful, my heads who are dead!
 #155587  by TI4-1009

My question is about the 25k volume pot. Is that value in relevance to the OBEL? if i don't install the OBEL; Would i use a 500k volume pot?

No, it's related to the buffer. 25k with the buffer (which you really DO want!), 500k without.

Or if I install the OBEL can i make it passive and still just use one input jack, even though i have 2 wired?

Yes, if you have both jacks you can just use the normal "out" jack to your amp.

The idea of the OBEL is really cool, i just don't think i would utilize that too often.

It's VERY useful for the envelope filter, less so for the other effects. The big benefit is why Jerry invented it- the pedals are always getting the full signal from the pickups, no matter how much volume is going to the amp.

Also if you install the OBEL don't you need some mixer pedal....?

Not exactly. You go out and back to the pedals via the TRS OBEL jack. You just need a box to connect the pedal loop in and out with the OBEL cable from the guitar. You can get (or build) a more useful switchable box that lets you use your pedal train with either an OBEL setup, or a "normal " guitar without OBEL.

Have fun!