#38455  by dpmphoto

Read A post a few days ago about how great Robbie Robertson is.Well my friends you should ask levon about that and why they will never get back together again.Robbie stole from the rest of the band and forced them into early retirement.I have gotten to know levon a little bit and he is a truley remarkable soul and I believe everything he says about the band situation.

#38460  by Shaggy

There's no doubt that Robbie was a jerk back in the day, with quite a big ego. Becoming such good pals with Marty and making the Last Waltz and hoping to become somekind of movies star in the process. Leaving his bandmates in the shadows, almost as if they were his side-men only. I agree with Levon on that score.

But the Band still happened to be pretty special in the time they were together, who actually wrote what is something we'll never know now but the music is still great.

#38465  by dpmphoto

Levon lives a couple hours away in woodstock and hosts little jams at his house a few times a month called the midnight ramble.If you have a chance check out the site just google midnight ramble.

#38586  by AugustWest

Never claimed robbie robertson to be a good person. However he is one of my favorite guitar players ever. The band is one of my favorite groups ever. I don't care if you told me Robbie goes door to door burning his neighbors with his crack pipe. I will still feel the same about his guitar playing (immense).

By the way tell Levon I think his new album is fantastic!

#38626  by CountryMile Cadillac

Levon's new album is great.

Everybody in the Band was great, Robbie, Garth, Manuel, Danko, Levon. They got there battles of course, but doesn't anybody that is that close for so long? Hell look at the boys in the Dead.

#38639  by KCJones

Robbie stole from the rest of the band and forced them into early retirement.I have gotten to know levon a little bit and he is a truley remarkable soul and I believe everything he says about the band situation.
That's Helms' version. If Robertson didn't write the songs, why did the rest of the Band give him the songwriting credits from day 1 on the albums. We're talking royalties; Helms has been expounding that "stole from us" shit for a long time now. Also, Robertson had been writing and touring for nearly 20 years when "he" folded the Band...maybe he was burned out; he owed nobody anymore of his creativity, money or soul.

Same story with Credence Clearwater Revival. Did John Fogerty owe the rest of the band royalty money and sweat for songs they didn't write...Hell NO! And that help end that great group too.

#38688  by dpmphoto

ok kc your right, where did you get your info from?a magazine or a book

#38689  by DudeWithTheFan

KCJones wrote:
Robbie stole from the rest of the band and forced them into early retirement.I have gotten to know levon a little bit and he is a truley remarkable soul and I believe everything he says about the band situation.
That's Helms' version. If Robertson didn't write the songs, why did the rest of the Band give him the songwriting credits from day 1 on the albums. We're talking royalties; Helms has been expounding that "stole from us" shit for a long time now. Also, Robertson had been writing and touring for nearly 20 years when "he" folded the Band...maybe he was burned out; he owed nobody anymore of his creativity, money or soul.

Same story with Credence Clearwater Revival. Did John Fogerty owe the rest of the band royalty money and sweat for songs they didn't write...Hell NO! And that help end that great group too.
I understand what the both of you are saying, but Helm is most likely right. I say this because my art teacher is an "acquaintance" of Garth Hudson and said essentially the same thing...

#38697  by tigerstrat

fwiw, I always thought that aside from his pretty sharp chops, his live guitar tone kinda sucked. And he was a significantly weaker singer than Levon, Rick and Richard, whose vocals contributed greatly to his songs becoming as famous as they did. Not to take a side here on an issue that I know so little of, but everyone in The Band was brilliant and deserved to be recognized as more than just RR's sidemen. Flame away.

#38709  by KCJones

ok kc your right, where did you get your info from?a magazine or a book
First off, I wouldn't say "I'm right", I'm just a person that doesn't mind expounding my personal takes on things and events; a.k.a. lively discussions, preferably over beer or :D

Its just my interpretation of all the things I read, including Helm's comments in his biography, Wheels on Fire. I think its just a simple plain case that the Band members think they contributed more to the sucess of the songs and the overall band then Robertson thinks they did. And they felt Robertson should have taken more of a "All for One/One for All" attitude.
MY bottom line...he wrote the songs and got paid a lot of money for them, still does, and he deserved to.

I agree to dissagree with anyone on it. :smile:
Last edited by KCJones on Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#38710  by Rev_Roach

On a lighter note, I find it pretty funny that Robbie the Canadian wrote The Night They Drove Ol Dixie Down. Good thing Levon sang it! I read somewhere that Robbie wrote a line about Abe Lincoln and Levon immediately nixed it since many southerners hate the man.

#38720  by DireWuff

If ever there was a song written for a southern man to sing it was dixie down..I think Robbie might have even said that..and what a great lyric! The rest is just the music biz giving credit to Robbie. To bad credit(money) wasn't spread evenly.

#38741  by astroman99

AugustWest wrote:Never claimed robbie robertson to be a good person. However he is one of my favorite guitar players ever. The band is one of my favorite groups ever. I don't care if you told me Robbie goes door to door burning his neighbors with his crack pipe. I will still feel the same about his guitar playing (immense).

By the way tell Levon I think his new album is fantastic!
What do you like about his playing,

his days with Ronnie hawkins, and early Dylan days he was a blues style player, very aggressive, very loud, nuttin special to me, and later on with the band , he was understated and tasteful, ok I guess,

I think his replacement Jim Wieder blows him away.

Ya know in The Last Waltz he tell's that story about meeting and jamming with one of the walters, Big walter or little Walter(in Arkansas), and the guy is spitting blood, the camera is real tight on Robbie as he tells the story, well according to Levon, Robbie was even there...kinda of wierd.

Even if juyst a few lines were peppered into the songs from the other guys, they should be credited, aslo, I think the Band as a whole worked out the Harmonies and the arrangements...
I guesss I've chosen my side, it shows, but really why do you think Robbie's playing is so good?

Also they only set a microphone up in front of him, if they were being filmed, what an ego!!!
Last edited by astroman99 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

#38742  by Oscillation

all i can say to the thread starter is get a life...i mean really does it make you feel better about yourself slinging sludge about people you don't even know?

sorr but i fucking hate gossip like this