When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #164178  by strumminsix
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:49 am
I'm sure we all have non-GD musical passions. Past 10 years or so been getting into more and more Americana from 50s to modern. And one thing I hear time and time again is acoustic archtop. No soundhole. Mic'd from the sweet sounds coming off the top!

Just picked up a 1952 Gretsch Synchromatic 6014 and this thing is amazing. Took me about 3 years to find one that had the acoustic tone with neck and body that was comfortable to me.

Anyone else have non-dead type gear that inspires them to play?
tcsned, Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #164179  by tcsned
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:20 am
I've got a '78 Les Paul that was my first nice guitar I ever owned (bought it in 1982) - before I was that interested in the Dead. My favorite non-Deadish instrument is my gypsy-jazz Dell'Arte. It's a canon.
 #164180  by Gr8fulCadi
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:41 am
Absolutely! I’ve got a whole rig for some Travis Pickin Rockabilly. I’ll post some pics

•A 6120 Gretsch, Brian Setzer.
•74 Bassman that I sent to David Allen of Allen Amplication to mod it to a 6G6-B circuit (similar).
• A Boss DM3 for some slapback
•Nocturne Atomic Brain pedal (basically a Roland RE-301 preamp)

One chord strike and I’m instantly transported back to the 50’s. Love it!
tcsned, strumminsix liked this
 #164183  by strumminsix
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm
tcsned wrote:
I've got a '78 Les Paul that was my first nice guitar I ever owned (bought it in 1982) - before I was that interested in the Dead. My favorite non-Deadish instrument is my gypsy-jazz Dell'Arte. It's a canon.
That's so unique! I've never seen anything like that! Beautiful to look at but comfortable to play?
tcsned liked this
 #164184  by strumminsix
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:20 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Absolutely! I’ve got a whole rig for some Travis Pickin Rockabilly. I’ll post some pics

•74 Bassman that I sent to David Allen of Allen Amplication to mod it to a 6G6-B circuit (similar).

BADASS! I love listening to rockabilly! It's one of 2 styles that I absolutely love just listening too without trying to emulate. The night I picked up my Gretsch I headed to the shop with my close friend who is a luthier to inspect and we talked about Brian Setzer and our mutual appreciation and listened to the Japan show on the ride back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFvl3aMiAE0
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #164185  by tcsned
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:18 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:00 pm
tcsned wrote:

That's so unique! I've never seen anything like that! Beautiful to look at but comfortable to play?
It’s pretty comfortable to play. It’s got a 26.5” string length so it’s a full inch longer than a typical acoustic. It uses lighter strings (.11 for the high E) but is under more tension. It’s really loud, I use it with my bluegrass band because it cuts through on stage with banjos and mandolins. It’s cool on acoustic Dead tunes too.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #164186  by tcsned
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:22 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:

How is the 6120? I’ve been really wanting a hollowbody electric. I love some good rockabilly. I was just playing Sleepwalk with a YouTube backing track last night :)
 #164187  by Gr8fulCadi
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:

BADASS! I love listening to rockabilly! It's one of 2 styles that I absolutely love just listening too without trying to emulate. The night I picked up my Gretsch I headed to the shop with my close friend who is a luthier to inspect and we talked about Brian Setzer and our mutual appreciation and listened to the Japan show on the ride back!

Very cool! I did a quick search on the 6014, that’s a gorgeous looking guitar by Gretsch with an unmistakable tone too. Nice score!!

So rockabilly is 1 of 2, what’s the 2nd?
strumminsix liked this
 #164188  by Gr8fulCadi
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:20 pm
tcsned wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:

How is the 6120? I’ve been really wanting a hollowbody electric. I love some good rockabilly. I was just playing Sleepwalk with a YouTube backing track last night :)
I love it and has a feel and sound of it’s own. It’s a B Setzer Hot Rod so it’s a tad different than the traditional 6120. It has only a volume pot and a pickup selector, that’s it! No tone control! With my amp setup I don’t miss the tone control all that much. It’s got the TV Jones Setzer signature pups too.

I’ll post a short vid tonight hopefully if the kids go down easy :-)
tcsned, strumminsix liked this
 #164189  by Jon S.
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:43 pm
I still have the first electric guitar I ever owned, this '67 Hagstrom Viking I. My parents bought it for me in '69 when I was 12 years old. I don't play it much these days but when I do it delivers great rockabilly tone.

On the topics of non-GD musical passions and non-dead type gear that inspires me to play generally, of course to both - it's a big world out there.

strumminsix, tcsned liked this
 #164190  by Jon S.
 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 pm
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
tcsned wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:

I love it and has a feel and sound of it’s own. It’s a B Setzer Hot Rod so it’s a tad different than the traditional 6120. It has only a volume pot and a pickup selector, that’s it! No tone control! With my amp setup I don’t miss the tone control all that much. It’s got the TV Jones Setzer signature pups too.

Setzer's amazing, isn't he? We played together some in high school (Massapequa High School in LI, NY). Here's a blast from the past pic you might dig - three of the four best MHS guitarists (the 4th was Ralph Agresta) at the entrance to the school: from left to right, Ray Penney of Great Caesar's Ghost (one of my closest friends, RIP), Brian, and Stevie Cochran (Steve Volpe).

In those days, I was still playing more bass than guitar. At one point, I lent my amp to a friend for a gig and it blew on him. For quite a while, I couldn't afford to replace it, which Brian liked to tease me about, including in my high school yearbook (the dope in the pic below the inscription is me, obviously, not Brian :o ).

#164193  by strumminsix
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:29 am
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:07 pm
strumminsix wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:

Very cool! I did a quick search on the 6014, that’s a gorgeous looking guitar by Gretsch with an unmistakable tone too. Nice score!!

So rockabilly is 1 of 2, what’s the 2nd?
Jazz. For years I dissected everything I liked and learned it on guitar. It was taxing. I stopped listening to music. I studied it. Then I decided to focus on some, and just listen to others. Was refreshing!

What's most excellent about this guitar is the acoustic tone. Not missing a sound hole.
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #164198  by tcsned
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:56 pm
Jon S. wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
tcsned wrote:

Setzer's amazing, isn't he? We played together some in high school (Massapequa High School in LI, NY). Here's a blast from the past pic you might dig - three of the four best MHS guitarists (the 4th was Ralph Agresta) at the entrance to the school: from left to right, Ray Penney of Great Caesar's Ghost (one of my closest friends, RIP), Brian, and Stevie Cochran (Steve Volpe).

In those days, I was still playing more bass than guitar. At one point, I lent my amp to a friend for a gig and it blew on him. For quite a while, I couldn't afford to replace it, which Brian liked to tease me about, including in my high school yearbook (the dope in the pic below the inscription is me, obviously, not Brian :o ).

That is too cool!! Setzer has been one of my favorite guitar players since that first Stray Cats record hit.
 #164201  by Gr8fulCadi
 Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:49 pm
Had a hunch it was jazz. I tried to pick it up, kids came along and that was that!! I will try again in the future. I listen to a lot of bebop style, mostly 60’s era.

Yea I checked out some YouTube clips of the 6014, has that classic Americana tone for sure. Enjoy
 #164205  by strumminsix
 Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:52 am
Jon S. wrote:
Gr8fulCadi wrote:
tcsned wrote:

That's really cool Jon! Was he a natural back then? I'm sure he put in a lot work, but let's me honest, for some people guitar and music comes more natural.