When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #164432  by Glen Runciter
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:19 am
I like to listen to and I seek to be influenced by

Jim Hall
Lightnin Hopkins
Shuggie Otis

I'm playing steel guitar more than regular guitar in recent years, and there's an entire other thicket of important players: Herby Wallace is a real treasure. His playing sounded so 80s truck driving acrylic
 #164436  by kurt eye
 Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm
This guy is one of them:

tcsned liked this
 #164442  by tcsned
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:35 am
kurt eye wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:31 pm
This guy is one of them:

I love Norman Blake, it's sad that he retired from playing. I'm glad I got to see him a bunch in the 80s and 90s.
 #164446  by waldo041
 Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am
George Harrison
Django
Bob Weir (with the GD)
Mick Mars
Frank Zappa
Elliot Easton

i know i am missing a few more, but i will edit later

~waldo
 #164572  by Searing75
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:45 am
Bob Weir, Mark knopfler, Roy Nichols.....l am sure there are others?
 #164573  by Jon S.
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:37 am
waldo041 wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:26 am
George Harrison
Django
Bob Weir (with the GD)
Mick Mars
Frank Zappa
Elliot Easton

i know i am missing a few more, but i will edit later

~waldo
Cool that you've included Easton. We went to the same high school (Massapequa HS on Long Island). At that time, of course, he hadn't yet changed his name and was still Elliot Steinberg. Elliot was several years older than but as the Steinbergs lived very close by I hung out a fair bit with Elliot's younger brother, Leslie. Indeed, we had some fine musicians at our school: Elliot, Brian Setzer, Ray Penney (of Great Caesar's Ghost and Good Night Guitar - RIP), Stevie Cochran (originally Volpe), Ralph Agresta (of Jam Trax fame - I hired his band for my wedding). And then there's me. :oops:
strumminsix liked this
 #164574  by joshq
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 pm
Fun one.. Outside of usual suspects: Wes Montgomery, Robert Cray, BB King, Pat Metheny. SRV. Not sure if this one counts, but feel deserves mention by virtue of originality: Bela Fleck.
 #164577  by Lephty
 Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 pm
On the jazzy side, I've been digging on Julian Lage lately. Also love a lot of Bill Frisell's stuff. Highly recommend both.

I listen to a lot of acoustic & bluegrass, and have to give a nod to David Grier as well. Dude is just unreal:

tcsned, kurt eye liked this
 #164582  by tcsned
 Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:13 am
Lephty wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 10:02 pm
On the jazzy side, I've been digging on Julian Lage lately. Also love a lot of Bill Frisell's stuff. Highly recommend both.

I listen to a lot of acoustic & bluegrass, and have to give a nod to David Grier as well. Dude is just unreal:

David Grier is awesome! I play that tune with my Radford University bluegrass buddies - not that well though :) it's funny the Irish name of that song is Little Beggar Man, I guess Red Haired Boy in Ireland is like calling a song about a guy at a Dead show, Dude in a Tie Dye :)
This guy is another one of my favorites and a local guy:

kurt eye liked this
 #164632  by Jblue76
 Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 pm
Django Reinhardt— best ever
Stephen Malkmus!!! A bit of different direction maybe for this group, but learning to think like him with all the weird tunings he uses made me relearn how to play the guitar. Very cool.