When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #163604  by Mithrandir

Just saw a video of a recent kimock small venue show where he played a Gibson l5 ish archtop on sugaree. Anybody know what he may have been playing? Cuz it was orgasmic. Here’s the video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8rdgqcT0II
tntawney, LD273, Rob303 liked this
 #163628  by pomaikai

It's an L5.
"Except for a sound post under the treble side of the bridge to help control feedback, and a bridge top that was carved from a piece of rosewood by Tom Cerletti, the L5 is stock"
 #163629  by czyfingers

I just watched that whole video and it just underscores how amazing of a player Kimock is. Yes, the guitar certainly contributes to the tone and feel, but the true beauty is in his playing. He could play a shovel with strings and if it was in tune it would sound great. He demonstrates such restraint and just sits in the pocket waiting for the right time to explode. He's a master of the fretboard too...if you're a player and you look at his choices made during the solos, it so interesting and unconventional compared to how many or most would approach it. We could all use a lesson or 2 from him. Sometimes less is more and other times more is just what's needed and he just delivers it. As Jerry said...he's the best unknown player out there. Or something like that. Just my 2 cents...I've always admired his playing and wished I had half his talent.
Jon S., augustwest1 liked this
 #163639  by pomaikai

aiq is right, it is the same L7 in the gear video. Steve's L5 was a later cutaway model. The L7 was the poor mans L5, less fancy binding and parts. The old L5 and L7 are the same guitars other than the appointments and tuning the top.
aiq liked this
 #163642  by Jon S.

czyfingers wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:38 am I just watched that whole video and it just underscores how amazing of a player Kimock is. Yes, the guitar certainly contributes to the tone and feel, but the true beauty is in his playing. He could play a shovel with strings and if it was in tune it would sound great.
Well put.

You might dig my signature quote.
 #163667  by flyingheelhook

One of my favorite ways of killing time between meetings at work is to go to the gear page, search by user, and search kimock just to read his responses to various stuff. He really does give a lot of insight into all sorts of things, and knows when to be nice, and when to shut someone down. Always a pleasure.
strumminsix liked this