When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #162055  by tcsned
 Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:03 pm
Hey folks! I've got an issue I thought I would post to the hive-mind to see if anyone else had any ideas. I was at a gig two weeks ago and in unloaded rain in the middle of our set and my pedalboard got pretty wet. It wasn't swimming in water just got some water on top of everything. It all worked fine through that night. I let everything dry out and had a gig last weekend. Everything worked fine as we were soundchecking but it started making a noise as it a cable was cutting in and out then nothing. It worked fine with the OBEL switched off in the junction box (it's a HubBub). I played the rest of the night without the OBEL. I tried to troubleshoot the issue and everything seemed to work fine other than the effects loop. I tried other cables (I have 3 cable harnesses) and other guitars (I have 3 OBEL guitars). I got Brian from IO Guitars to make me another junction box on very short notice (he ROCKS!!). Still not working.

It seems unlikely that either all three cables and all three guitars are bad. It seems unlikely that the cables or any of the effects are bad as they work fine run normally. I'm not certain that the rain variable had any effect . . . on my effects :D

Any thoughts? Thanks!!!
 #162056  by waldo041
 Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm
Couple questions,

1.) Have you tried the Effects loop on the guitar without the Hub Bub?

2.) Have you tried the standard guitar non OBEL setting of the switch on the hubbub?

~waldo
 #162057  by tcsned
 Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:39 pm
waldo041 wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:30 pm
Couple questions,

1.) Have you tried the Effects loop on the guitar without the Hub Bub?

2.) Have you tried the standard guitar non OBEL setting of the switch on the hubbub?

~waldo
Hmmm . . . the one cable that I don’t have is a TRS->(2)1/4”

I haven’t tried a standard guitar yet, just the OBEL guitars with the loop turned off. I’m getting ready to dive in again and figure this mofo out. :?
 #162058  by ac4468
 Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:47 pm
Is it possible that one of the pedals shorted out and was running on battery (if one was installed) backup? If that's the case, then the batter could have died since soundcheck and killed the signal??? DId you try and isolate it to one pedal that was the issue? Maybe one port on your power supply is malfunctioning as a result of the rain?
 #162060  by tcsned
 Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:06 pm
Effing weird. Plugged it in again, same thing. Different guitars, different cables. Then all of a sudden a combination worked. Then it all worked fine. All guitars all cables. I’m sure it will quit again at my gig tomorrow but it’s working now. Makes no damn sense :roll:

Thanks for the input, guys!
 #162062  by tcsned
 Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:33 am
ac4468 wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:03 am
OK, what you need to do is put the entire pedal board in an enormous bag of rice :-)
:lol:
 #162064  by kurt eye
 Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:15 am
After years and years of loving use, only to be replaced with a digital processer/profiler, I think the answer is clear. Your pedals' feelings are hurt and they are acting out.
ac4468, tcsned liked this
 #162066  by tcsned
 Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:54 am
kurt eye wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:15 am
After years and years of loving use, only to be replaced with a digital processer/profiler, I think the answer is clear. Your pedals' feelings are hurt and they are acting out.
Jealous little bastards. I shoulda told them I bought the Kemper so I could keep using them :)
 #162069  by waldo041
 Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:41 pm
Check the pedals connections both internally and externally. It could be loose and spinning inside and possibly grounding itself out. Eventually the wire breaks.

~waldo
ac4468 liked this