When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #160531  by Pete B.

I just saw this on FB from a local Guitar slinger who gets called on ocassionally to tour nationally with various country/rockabilly/surf Artists out of LA...
"I need to make some $
Anybody need a guitar player
Pretty good on bass too"
 #160536  by WokeUpDead

Pete B. wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:18 am My advice is to go directly to applying for a position in a Nationally Touring jam band.
Anything else, you might as well have a day job and play locally whenever.
I can't stand the the thought of having to give lessons, myself. (unless I feel giving a lesson for free to a friend).
If you can make $100/day, under the table, that's $36,500 a year.
Seem doable?
Where are these jobs posted? :cool: I could certainly live on that but I definitely can't get that playing locally. We get maybe 40-50 bucks plus tips around here. Finding a gig every night is unlikely.
 #160537  by tcsned

strumminsix wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm Here's my experience:
1997 - $5 cover, nobody complained
2007 - $5 cover, people begged to be on a list --------------------- $7 people wouldn't show up.
2017 - $5 cover, people checked facebook to see who said they'd be there and then decide ------------- $7 will turn off many, $10 will turn off most

Meanwhile:
1997 - $2 MGD
2007 - $3 MGD
2017 - $4 MGD

The problem is that the whole scene is different. Live music isn't what it used to be. Somewhere there's a cosmic disconnect between venues and fans and it doesn't hurt that Deadheads are getting older and don't desire to be at the bars til 2am.

I'm quite convinced that there's a huge untapped market for 6-10pm gigs for folks that love live music but don't party like they're 20 anymore.
Yup. In Floyd, VA where we play a lot and has a lot of the 40-60 year old heads we play 8-midnight and we do well. Pretty soon we will be playing for the “eats dinner at 4:30” crowd :shock:
 #160538  by strumminsix

tcsned wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:35 pm
strumminsix wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm I'm quite convinced that there's a huge untapped market for 6-10pm gigs for folks that love live music but don't party like they're 20 anymore.
Yup. In Floyd, VA where we play a lot and has a lot of the 40-60 year old heads we play 8-midnight and we do well. Pretty soon we will be playing for the “eats dinner at 4:30” crowd :shock:
LOL! I'm with you! I'm on hiatus for a bit but it seems like i have 2 groups of friends: out both weekend nights, no matter what partying somewhere (like 5% of folks I know) and the rest who work 50 hour weeks plus family that'd love to get out for a few hours but getting home at 3am doesn't work anymore.
 #160539  by WokeUpDead

strumminsix wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:36 pm
tcsned wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:35 pm
strumminsix wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:56 pm I'm quite convinced that there's a huge untapped market for 6-10pm gigs for folks that love live music but don't party like they're 20 anymore.
LOL! I'm with you! I'm on hiatus for a bit but it seems like i have 2 groups of friends: out both weekend nights, no matter what partying somewhere (like 5% of folks I know) and the rest who work 50 hour weeks plus family that'd love to get out for a few hours but getting home at 3am doesn't work anymore.
We have a monthly gig on Saturday nights starting at 8pm but due to scheduling issues and what not we've had to switch several times to Sunday or Saturday afternoons and the place is packed! Makes our lives easier getting done with the gig at as reasonable hour.
strumminsix liked this
 #160579  by tapestry

I have been a full time/ pro mucisian for about 5 years. I work harder/longer now than at any of my previous other 9-5 jobs. But, this is my passion and I don’t mind the long hours, sleepless nights, constant travel, endless paperwork and the many hours a day of guitar and vocal work. It’s the best job, although the hardest, I’ve ever had.

My tip would be to not think that a musicians life will be an easy, laxadasical life. Set realistic expectations and give 110% into it. It will be hard, but if you love it, it won’t matter how difficult it gets.
tcsned, gratefulredhead, strumminsix and 1 others liked this
 #165871  by Auriemma

I do, for the most part. Being as personal with my supporters is key to selling. I've managed to sell 10K hard copy cd's over 2 years by literally getting friendly with anyone willing to listen.
I gave up live gigs for a while for health reasons but I still make bank off digital sales.
May sound silly but, interacting with my supporters on my Facebook band/music page has also been key. My users get music, jokes, art, info, and personal blurbs here and there, given the situation.
Be honest and never hound people to by. Always provide direct links and don't just drop shit like "HEY FIND US ON SPOTIFY" and dont EVER demand likes or just expect people to like your stuff, without listening (social media savvy)
 #165873  by tcsned

+1 a couple of my band mates do the guitar/vocal/drum lesson thing to make ends meet. I rode in that rodeo when I was in grad school. It makes me happier to keep it a side hustle. I like my day job and insurance and a pension are cool :cool:
mikelawson wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:30 pm Well, for our regular Monday gig, we make about $100 each. No cover, house pays, provides killer sound system and lights, and $100 tab for great food. Festivals, we get more like $300-500 each. I end up spending $30 to park half the time, but whatever, I'm almost 50 and this isn't my main income at this point. I have made a living in music, one way or another, all my life. My "day jobs" were in music, and my night jobs make me happy, and it ain't about the money anymore. I laughed when I got a 1099 for $5100 for 2017 from one venue we play (which means that place paid us about $100 each for ten shows or so with an extra $100 I guess for a holiday or something). I dropped $4500 on the Tiger. I dropped $3500 on the Wolf. I dropped $1800 on the Bolt. I dropped $1800 putting the micro Jerry rig together. The pedal board, fuck, don't get me started. It clearly ain't about the money anymore or I'd have a seriously foolish heart. I do this now to honor the amazing years and mentoring Merl Saunders gave me, and because it brings me joy.
 #171681  by dalesteyn556

If you love making music, it's one of the most fulfilling ways to earn a living. Whether it's your full-time job or a lucrative side-gig, selling music is a creative way to make money doing something you love. Making money from music isn't easy, but it's not impossible.
 #171688  by Jon S.

The several pro musicians I’ve known personally all made most of their money in one or both of two ways: producing/mixing; teaching.