When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #147010  by flyingheelhook

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on acquiring a used KPA. The only thread on here is from quite some time ago and so I was wondering if anyone has any experience they could share? Any of you Jerry guys want to let me profile your rig? LOL!
 #147067  by flyingheelhook

Well, I made the trade and right now all I can say is HOLY SH*T!!! While not every amp profile I played with was sounding perfect, I easily found about 8-10 profiles that were either just right or close enough with some tweaking. I am gonna have some fun with this baby! :lol: :cool:
 #147072  by rugger

Congrats on the new toy. I briefly looked into putting together a modeling rig but in the end I couldn't justify it for myself.

Have fun!

john in san diego
 #147096  by tcsned

Those things seem real cool, if we were still doing the direct to mixer thing I would consider one. Post some clips if you can :-)
 #147098  by HeadSpace

+1 on clips. Especially of any profiles you do yourself. Been very curious about the possibilities of this thing...
 #147203  by flyingheelhook

Will do. I test drove it in practice this weekend and was very happy. I used my little Genz Benz Shenandoah acoustic combo amp as monitor (bypassing the pre-amp directly into the power amp) and it sounded great. Tried a few different profiles - 67 AC30, 65 Deluxe, 67 Deluxe, 74 Marshall (!), and 72 Twin Reverb all with good results according to band members feedback.

I still have a long way to go in getting the full rig gig-ready and worthy of sharing clips:
1) I bought a used FCB1010 midi foot controller and ordered a Eurekaprom chip. This will give me a pedal board that allows me to switch between different profiles and stomp box effects. Its a little wide and comes with two expression pedals built in - not sure how much I will use them - basically one is volume and the other can be assigned. While this chip comes ready to go with the Kemper I will have to configure profiles and stomp boxes, etc.
2) I bought/ordered a used Tech 21 Power Engine 60 (basically a guitar cabinet with a power amp) that will be my onstage rig/monitor.

I'm not sure how much actual profiling I will do. There are sooooooo many different profiles available, both free and commercial it is mind-boggling. It can store more than I would ever, ever really use. With that in mind, I would really have to stumble upon a unique amp set up that I know I can't get either exactly or close to online to really consider doing it myself - you really do need a close-to-studio type environment if you want to get high-quality profiles.

My aim for now is to get 5-10 amp profiles that I really like set up with stomp box effects and then stick with that for at least a few gigs and see how it goes before I go much further. The danger with this sort of technology is that you can get so caught up in trying things out that you don't actually get things done. :lol: I literally have to create a checklist of specific goals and tasks so that I stay focused and don't just sit there and play around all day long. I just downloaded a friggin' speaker collection (it allows you to separate the amp, from the cabinet from the speaker) that I couldn't pass by ($25 and today goes up to $50) that I probably won't even start exploring until fall.
 #147437  by flyingheelhook

First gig with the Kemper from Saturday night. Caveats: House was having trouble with the video/youtube feed, so it cuts in near beginning of Peggy-O. I haven't listened to this past Bird Song but generally happy with our playing - I think Foolish Heart was the highlight for me. The crowd was mostly new faces as most of our normal audience were either in Cali or at home for the Santa Clara shows - but even though we hardly knew any of the folks in the audience, quite a few were going nuts :cool: :lol: . Sound guy was so impressed with the Kemper he told me he was going to go out and buy one.

Issues: Had some problems getting lost in the mix but think the sound guy did an admirable job of trying to make it work. Need to be able to spend some time tweaking my profiles with full band but limited practice time makes it problematic. I went in with five profiles tweaked at home without hearing how they would sound with the band - not entirely dissatisfied since this was the case but hope to be able to spend more time. (Profiles used: two clean Dumbles, one JVM Marshal '74, Roland Jazz Chorus, and a Fuchs high gain)

First set:

I'll post the second set after I have had a chance to give it a listen.
 #147459  by HeadSpace

Sounds good. Not digital at all to my ear and a very interesting variety of tones there....thanks for posting.