When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #146391  by PaulJay

The rumors have to be a belated April fool's joke. If it is true what is this world coming to?
 #146398  by TI4-1009

Ask Bob.

#146400  by playingdead

I have to say I don't get the backlash against John Mayer ... guy's an excellent guitarist, terrific singer and a great songwriter. People like to joke about "Your Body is a Wonderland" but fer chrissakes, the guy was like 18 when he wrote it. He made a gazillion dollars, slept with supermodels and hot actresses, acted like a total idiot in his 20s, and now has matured into a musician who has a definite appreciation for what the Grateful Dead were about at their peak musically.

Maybe when you were 18 you thought Megadeth's "Head Crusher" was like the coolest song ever but you probably don't think so now ... I hope.

This is a great tune off his Born and Raised record and you can hear the Dead influence in the outro.

And even solo acoustic the guy is great.

I think Garcia would have appreciated him from a musician's standpoint and not given a crap about the other baggage. I heard the same kind of stuff about Ryan Adams when Phil started playing with him ... guy's a jerk, he's a mess, he can't play ... Ryan's the best songwriter on the planet in my book.
 #146403  by tcsned

I'm with Vic on this one, I got into with a few deadhead friends on Facebook over this. He may be a narcissistic D-bag or used to be, but like Vic said, he's matured and grown. If I was given all that $$ and ( . Y . ) at that age I probably would have been a smokin' hole in the ground.

He's a good guitarist and singer and has developed a love for the Dead's music. I've seen him 4 times - 3 times opening for Phil and Friends at the Fillmore, Warfield, and SF Civic center for a New Year's run. He played with a trio and I really liked it. Saw him here in Blacksburg at the VT football stadium for that concert following the awful shootings we had, it was a great thing to donate his time for this cause, he was with his full band. It was ok, I liked the stripped down band better but he was good. I've seen some stuff posted here of him playing an Alembic Wolf. I'd give him a chance with an open mind.
 #146404  by eric

Well, according to Eric Clapton, he is a "master guitarist".. But who the hell is Clapton anyway??

I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'll bite..
I happen to think he's one of the best guitarists/musicians out there today.. Sure he released some pop-ish albums when he first broke into the scene, but the guy used it as a caveat to get to where he wanted to be; playing the stuff he really wanted to play.. Don't hold it against him that along the way he's slayed more A-list tail than Brad Pitt and Hugh Hefner combined.. He admits his ego got the best of him when he was young (wouldn't yours too???)

He's talked on numerous occasions about his respect and admiration for Jerry and the Dead... Personally, I think one of the greatest things about this is that he is exposing and promoting the music of the Grateful Dead to millions (his hardcore fan-base) of people who probably have no clue who the Dead are or were.. Thats a plus in my book... :cool:
Last edited by eric on Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #146405  by TI4-1009

eric wrote:Well, according to Eric Clapton, he is a "master guitarist".. But who the hell is Clapton anyway??
Oh what does Clapton know anymore? His tone has sucked ever since Crossroads and his 335.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
 #146406  by TeeJay

What did I miss here? What are the rumors?
 #146407  by tcsned

TeeJay wrote:What did I miss here? What are the rumors?
Possible tour with Bob, Mickey, and Billy with John Mayer playing guitar. I don't think Phil was on board.
 #146409  by strumminsix

I'm with Vic and Eric... Dude's talented, rich, dates hot chicks, sells tons of records, and now has the unique ability to stretch beyond the pop and dig in deep to the music that satisfies his soul. Isn't that what most of us want? Haven't most of us cut our teeth in cover bands to sell out bars, get some notoriety, then build up Dead bands by including many cover tunes?
 #146410  by gr8fullfred

Ryan Adams the best song writer on the Planet? Are you freaking kidding me?

Ryan Adams is a better song writer than:
Stevie Wonder?
Paul McCartney?
Paul Simon?
Robert Hunter?
Smokey Robinson?
Neil Young?
Bob Weir?
Joni Mitchell?
Eric Clapton?

Fact is, Ryan Adams does not have even one well known memorable song. And John Mayer can't even carry a solo over Friend of the Devil.
 #146413  by flyingheelhook

I have to do some homework. While I have heard the name, I have yet to hear any music so don't feel I can weigh in on him one way or another.
Ryan's the best songwriter on the planet in my book.
While I am not sure I would rank him as best, I am glad I'm not the only fan here! :lol:
 #146415  by TI4-1009

flyingheelhook wrote:I have to do some homework. While I have heard the name, I have yet to hear any music so don't feel I can weigh in on him one way or another.
Ryan's the best songwriter on the planet in my book.
Same here.

Oooohhh. I thought you meant Bryan Adams.... :lol:

"At a concert in October 2002, at Nashville's Ryman Auditorium, someone in the audience yelled out a request for "Summer of '69," a Bryan Adams hit. Ryan reacted with stream of expletives, and ordered the house lights turned on, The Tennessean newspaper reported. He eventually found the fan who made the joke request, paid him $30 cash as a refund for the show, ordered him to leave, and said he wouldn't play another note until he'd gone."

No sense of humor, I guess.
 #146417  by dleonard

I like John Mayer's guitar playing and am even a closet fan of some of his early stuff. I wouldn't say I have heard much great actual guitar chops beyond the blues-realm, though. It'll be interesting to see. I will buy a ticket to hear Bob Weir sing. Anything else is a bonus.