When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #146356  by tcsned
 Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:59 pm
I used 'em a couple of times I didn't like them. We were going amp=less at the time and it seemed to make sense (our drummer also uses an electronic kit). Tried out someone else's set up and it just didn't feel right. Depending on how loud things get, they may be worse on your ears than using floor wedges. I can't see them working at all with guitar amps and acoustic drums
 #146377  by tcsned
 Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:30 am
flyingheelhook wrote:Thanks. I saw a (non-dead) band the other night that was using them and their stage volume and mix was phenomenally clear so I thought I would ask - I don't know anyone who has used them.
They may work for you and your band, every group is different. It does give some advantages for mixing. If you (and your bandmates) can handle lower volumes they may be a good option. If you're going to play loud you are a lot more likely to damage your hearing with earbuds than a speaker cab 3 feet away.
 #146380  by strumminsix
 Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:55 am
I've been using Sensaphonic 3DAA. They allow you to mix in both the stage sound and IEM feed. Best I've found.
 #146388  by jkstraw
 Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:40 pm
I use a pair of 1964 quads. When playing with a band I use them with a personal monitoring setup called the POSSE. To be honest for me it is pretty much the ideal solution - but you are going to spend an extra 5-7 mins in setup and tear down.

The biggest plus in my book is being able to manage the stage volume - with traditional in ear setups you get a disconnected feeling from the rest of the band. Some bands will go as far as setting up stage mics to feed in to their in-ear mixes. This POSSE thing has ambiant mics built in to it so I can plug in and control my guitar, vocal, stage and monitor mix all right there in front of me without impacting anyone else.

To be fully transparent - I have stopped using it for accoustic gigs cause that 5-7 mins is a pain in the ass when doing a 45 min opener (which is my main thing right now). But in a band situation it is a dream for me. YMMV

POSSE - posseaudio.com
1964 dual drivers - http://www.1964ears.com/product/1964-V2 ... ar-Monitor
note: they don't do the old quads anymore - they upped to v6-stage
 #146412  by strumminsix
 Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:40 am
jkstraw wrote:I use a pair of 1964 quads. When playing with a band I use them with a personal monitoring setup called the POSSE. To be honest for me it is pretty much the ideal solution - but you are going to spend an extra 5-7 mins in setup and tear down.

The biggest plus in my book is being able to manage the stage volume - with traditional in ear setups you get a disconnected feeling from the rest of the band. Some bands will go as far as setting up stage mics to feed in to their in-ear mixes. This POSSE thing has ambiant mics built in to it so I can plug in and control my guitar, vocal, stage and monitor mix all right there in front of me without impacting anyone else.

To be fully transparent - I have stopped using it for accoustic gigs cause that 5-7 mins is a pain in the ass when doing a 45 min opener (which is my main thing right now). But in a band situation it is a dream for me. YMMV

POSSE - posseaudio.com
1964 dual drivers - http://www.1964ears.com/product/1964-V2 ... ar-Monitor
note: they don't do the old quads anymore - they upped to v6-stage
That POSSE thing is like my Sensaphonic Active Ambient. Great tech!