When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #145335  by James-T
 Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:19 am
For those of us that did not go to the theatres.

And what I learned watching The Other One - Jerry makes his neck pickup sound like a bridge pickup by (dah) picking right beside the bridge. We all do this trick occasionally I'd think - but he really tried hard to get as many sounds as a possible out of that guitar - because, hey - he didn't have a pedal board.

I also noticed that contrary to what folks post here about Jerry mostly using his middle pick-up, he actually switched all over the place throughout a lot of different tunes, rather than "hanging" in the same position getting the same tone.

I also never realized he went to the 7 in the OMSN riff, I always thought he went up to the 1. Go figure - what you learn from simply watching. Makes perfect sense to my ears now.

Peace,

James

#145336  by lovetoboogie
 Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:32 am
love garcia's grip on the g-chord in bertha with his thumb over the top grabbing the low g and muting the a-string...i always played it like this.
 #145341  by James-T
 Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm
Yah, That's pretty cool. Noticed that too. All the close ups are. Great to see his technique circa 1972. My left hand technique is way more Bobby than Jerry. His picking hand is very stable. That's part of his tone for sure.

Peace,

James