When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #145156  by flyingheelhook

Saw Steve Kimock http://www.relix.com/articles/detail/de ... rry_garcia last night. Very cool show, tight band, really different takes on some all time favorites. Amazing tone. Not sure what other superlatives to lay on him but man, it was impressive.
 #145169  by kurt eye

Love em.
 #145171  by hippieguy1954

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
 #145179  by ricepr

I like his playing, and his form of tribute as well
 #145180  by Bobbyg

I was there as well.......the unexpected sort of happened. I had early entrance ticket to get a signed poster. Went in picked-up my poster. Steve is in the back of the venue and asks if anyone would like a photo. Our little group says sure. As I was standing next to Steve for the photo, I casually thanked him for sharing his gear knowledge etc. on the internet boards. He said "Yeah, no problem" After the quick photo, doors were opening, we went off to find a spot. About 3 minutes later, tap on my shoulder, it was Steve. He says "follow me" What? He takes me backstage, then onto the stage saying, " I want to show you some stuff". He goes he goes into the detail on his rig. I tell him about my SMS/Mac rig....he says he has a MC2300 at home. Then he puts me on his stool and lets me check out his Strat and Scott Walker. He is using a Twin Reverb Head and 2 JBL D140's. He had some wah pedal....his Mutron was unplugged but laying behind the amp. I then peer down at the Twin Reverb to look at his settings. Steve says, " Oh I have to adjust those settings now, treble 10, bass 0 mid noon" ........oh, naturally.

Was there for about 15 minutes. Really, a true thrill for an amateur Jerry player like myself. All I can say is that Steve, who I have never met in my life, was one of the most gracious, kind human beings I have ever met!

I took a quick photo, that's Steve to the left.

#145181  by dleonard

Cool story! I'm seeing him Sunday.
 #145183  by kurt eye

I saw him at a small venue in New Hampshire about a year ago. He is very cool and approachable. No ego whatsoever.
 #145187  by dleonard

Yea I agree. When I saw him last I was a few beers deep and shook his hand and said something like "I think you're a great player. I'm sorry that I've stolen so many licks from you." haha. He seemed put off a bit but I only meant it as a compliment.
 #145192  by tntawney

Saw him last night in Baltimore front row whole time. He is amazing guitarist. His whole setup is great. He has so much to choose from. Like a kid in a candy store! Was great until some drunk ass threw beer all over Steve and Jeff when they were saying goodnight and thank you. All of his guitars and Jeff's hammond got wet. They decided after that not to play encore. He had "You're The One" on his setlist at his feet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTT8m2vB36s
 #145194  by Smolder

Saw him a few years ago in Chicago. Gave me a tour of his rig. Cool cat. He's helped me huge with tone and gear issues. I'm no where near discussing music theory with him unfortunately.
 #158843  by kurt eye

I caught Steve Kimock with Leslie Mendelson last night at the Flying Monkey in Plymouth, NH. I was blown away. Leslie's vocals are downright hypnotic. I think Hunter and Garcia wrote Crazy Fingers for her.

https://youtu.be/dBd-gkRAQIk
 #159214  by Jon S.

When I caught Kimock live several years back with Seals at the State Theatre in Falls Church, VA, during the break, I approached him on stage and introduced myself as "Jon S. from The Gear Page." He recognized me from my posts and invited me up to try his Tele. As I was playing it, another dude approached to ask him for his pick. He said, "Sure," and threw it to him. So I said, "That was nice, Steve, would you like mine?" He takes it, replies to me, "Kinda pointy," and gives it back. That was before I'd switched to Adamas and Telefunkin graphite 2.0's! My overall impression: can be crusty at times and doesn't suffer fools but a kindhearted soul who is generous with his gear and advice to those who seek it. He's also one of the finest, most expressive guitarists I've ever had the pleasure to hear.
 #159215  by aiq

Re: those TGP posts, I just read them in Steve's voice and they go from crusty to very funny.

He freely shares so much but will not cede the point when he is right, which is usually. Maybe always?

For those interested who may have missed it ( here prolly no one) this link is still hot to the old board. Tons of hard info from SK here as well:

http://www.online-discussion.com/SteveKimock/index.php