When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #144401  by gdeloian
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:36 am
Hey all,

Could someone point me toward a thread or two on PA system reccomendations? Couldnt seem to really find anything, albiet a brief search. Seems PA systems are an often neglected topic...

Thanks!!
 #144402  by myoung6923
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 am
Well, it very much depends on all sorts of variables - like realistic size of the venue, what you want to run through it - like just vocals, drums, everything... number of monitors and separate monitor mixes. It could go from a small simple system to something much more involved.
 #144403  by gdeloian
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:28 pm
Looking for recommendations on a good, reliable, clean, powerful board that will run seperate monitor mixes, up to three or four. From there, I can figure the rest, monitors, mains, power amp etc. I guess Im more looking for mixer recommendations than anything else. Up to four Vox channels, then enough channels for two guitars, bass, keys?, and maybe drums...kick snare overheads...

i dont want to spend a fortune, but i want to get something adequate.
 #144404  by myoung6923
 Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:34 pm
Several years ago I was in the same boat and ended up Getting an Allen & Heath 24 channel board - Plenty of channels, 4 monitor mixes, 2 aux sends... awesome. But, honestly, if I was to get something now, I would go with a Presonus 16 channel board. Digital board with very good built in effects, firewire out for control and recording, wifi to mix from the stage with an iPad - and plenty more. I would also go with newer digital power amps and save your back from the stupidly heavy old school power amps.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... 7Aod-RoA8Q
 #144417  by strumminsix
 Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:26 am
Here's my $.02.... Spend twice what you are today prepared to spend. If I had to do it all over again I'd cut the crap:
5 QSC 12" speakers for mains and monitors
1 QSC 18" sub
A good passive board that has at least different different monitor mixes and a subwoofer mix too.
 #144439  by chipperj
 Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 pm
+1 for Allen & Heath. They have great mic pres and EQs, FX. Except I would recommend their Qu-16 or 24. It's digital, with full memory/recall. up to 8 separate monitor mixes (on the Qu-16). Great Pres, EQ, dynamics on every channel. Analyzer, graphic Eqs, etc. Just a great sounding board- way better sounding and built than Presonus IMO. (I do not have any affiliation with A&H).

QSCs are definitely great, but check out the powered EV line. They have 3 different price points (we went with the middle line - ELX). Just a great sounding rig.
(I have no affiliation with EV).
 #144440  by Smolder
 Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:43 pm
We have a mixwiz16 and a zed10fx... 4xaltos 10" wedges, and a pair of EONs. Looking to add a sub and replace the EON 15 FOH wit better quality 12's. Strum mix is right on... Spend more than you want to... Cheaper than upgrading later.

Lots of folks moving to digital mixers... A good time to buy analog if you're a weekend warrior.