When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #143866  by TI4-1009
 Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:44 am
More pics-

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96739540@ ... 3336/show/

Tom Lieber said that Doug Irwin loved to use inlay to cover up mistakes. As we know, much of the body brass is there to cover up the switch from through-neck to set neck. And the oval on the back came about covering up blowing through the back when carving it down.
 #143973  by kurt eye
 Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:09 pm
Looks like their is some corrosive patina on the brass plate around the pickups. kind of sad.

Also kind of funny for Tiger to not be anywhere close to nailing a Jerry tone. :lol:
 #144009  by TI4-1009
 Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:34 pm
kurt eye wrote:Looks like their is some corrosive patina on the brass plate around the pickups. kind of sad.

Also kind of funny for Tiger to not be anywhere close to nailing a Jerry tone. :lol:
Ha! You should have seen it before Irwin refinished it in 1990-ish! Jerry's sweat was highly corrosive and really ate up the metal- ever see the pic of the original Tiger bridge? Looks like it was soaked in acid. What you're seeing is "Jerry patina"- what the Catholics would call a "second-class relic".

If you think it doesn't sound like Jerry there, try to find the short vid of Irsay playing Tiger :shock: It didn't last long on the web before it disappeared. :lol:
 #144011  by kurt eye
 Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:03 pm
Hmm. It kind of gives me pause to use brass hardware when I do my custom build someday. I love the look, but looks like a constant battle against corossion. Was Jerry's brass corroded because he was exceptionally fat and sweaty from withdrawl :oops: and because of the endless hours it was played or is this common to all guitars with brass hardware. I would have assumed that Parrish would have been able to keep the brass in decent shape. I had a Deering banjo with nickle plated hardware. It had to be hand rubbed on a regular basis to keep from oxidizing. It was a pain, and I lost that battle.
 #144013  by Diggey
 Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:36 am
Thanks for posting this story. The author seems very genuine and sincere in his pursuit which reminded me of all the people I've meet that are quote "heads" and how the same constant genuine sincere demeanor is prevalent.

The band sure pulled people together from all walks of life. billionaires who can buy $million dollar guitars and fans of the music played on the guitar. Again thanks for posting.

As for corrosion, brass and any metal exposed to acidic environments will tarnish and long term "pit". I imagine for the amount of road time that guitar had, no matter what is on it that it would tarnish. I had a reissue 59 Les Paul that I used for several shows over a summer, where I sweat and it ate through the finish, totally tarnish the nickel bridge and tail piece, and the humbuckers covers and was turning the neck binding pink for the analine dye reacting to the playing of the fingerboard. To think my usage made a Reissue guitar look 20 yrs old in one summer and Jerry played this constantly for at least 11 yrs.... I would consider Tiger in great shape. I'd love to get my hands on it but my skills would never do it justice.

I for one miss the "Big Guy" playig sweetly