When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #138208  by midnightrainband

Has anyone heard of the Jerry Garcia commemorative eyewitness medal that was put out by Franklin mint? I have heard they were issues a cease and desist and stopped makin them. I believe this was circa late 1995. I can't find info anywhere so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tha nks!
 #138647  by howldead

Hey Now,
I'm pretty sure I have what you are talking about. I got mine when it first came out--I collect many things so I get notifications, magazines from them all(franklin mint, danbury mint, bradford, hamilton, ashton drake....) I haven't heard of any cease/desist but maybe that is why I've never seen this for sale before??(I check ebay,amazon,cl....regularly) I've seen the SYF & Bertha(rare)coins & heard there is a pendent-medalion but not sure. Anyway mine came in an acrylic case bout size of a baseball card or backstage pass & a black plastic stand that it slides into. I'll try to attach pictures for you--not sure if this site allows it, if not I can email it to you.
PEACE,
Chet
 #138648  by tatittle

Wow. It is so funny how the silent majority and the gov't officially come to embrace people who were persona non-gratis for most of their lives. Some of this is younger folks moving in and natural turnover, but a lot of it is a desire to stay relevant, "cool", and profitable.
The knighted rock stars come to mind e.g.

That would be bizarre if Garcia's estate (wife) issued a cease and desist. An official gov't coin is in far better taste and helps create a positive legacy a lot better than the cheap trinkets from China she seems so proud of bringing to market. I get the feeling she cannot comprehend one playing music for its own sake, and that Garcia just wasn't very good at milking every last dime out of his "brand"; thus her capitalizing on his "brand" is a great accomplishment that somehow improves Garcia's legacy and work. Of course Garcia's apparent indifference to maximizing profits (and the artistic integrity associated with that) played a big role in his success and the nature of his music IMO. If he had had her mindset of profit as the primary goal, his music likely would have been totally different and never spread worldwide. Certainly wouldn't have all the recorded concerts widely shared. Paradox is the essence of human life. I imagine there isn't much royalty paid for a coin like that, dispute over that may be behind a desist if it existed.

I seem to remember the Franklin Mint being a very reputable operation, even a contracter for the US gov't. Maybe Im wrong though. In any case I think I recall they have some pretty cheesy stuff being advertised on TV these days. My great Aunt used to send me US Mint coins every Christmas...they had real magic..the unexplainable asset of authenticity and quality.
 #138649  by tatittle

Wow. It is so funny how the silent majority and the gov't officially come to embrace people who were persona non-gratis for most of their lives. Some of this is younger folks moving in and natural turnover, but a lot of it is a desire to stay relevant, "cool", and profitable.
The knighted rock stars come to mind e.g.

That would be bizarre if Garcia's estate (wife) issued a cease and desist. An official gov't coin is in far better taste and helps create a positive legacy a lot better than the cheap trinkets from China she seems so proud of bringing to market. I get the feeling she cannot comprehend one playing music for its own sake, and that Garcia just wasn't very good at milking every last dime out of his "brand"; thus her capitalizing on his "brand" is a great accomplishment that somehow improves Garcia's legacy and work. Of course Garcia's apparent indifference to maximizing profits (and the artistic integrity associated with that) played a big role in his success and the nature of his music IMO. If he had had her mindset of profit as the primary goal, his music likely would have been totally different and never spread worldwide. Certainly wouldn't have all the recorded concerts widely shared. Paradox is the essence of human life. I imagine there isn't much royalty paid for a coin like that, dispute over that may be behind a desist if it existed.

I seem to remember the Franklin Mint being a very reputable operation, even a contracter for the US gov't. Maybe Im wrong though. In any case I think I recall they have some pretty cheesy stuff being advertised on TV these days. My great Aunt used to send me US Mint coins every Christmas...they had real magic..the unexplainable asset of authenticity and quality.
 #138663  by TI4-1009

tatittle wrote:I seem to remember the Franklin Mint being a very reputable operation, even a contracter for the US gov't.
:shock:
 #138667  by joethepainter

Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Franklin_Mint

Cease and desist info from the wiki page: Following the death of Diana, Princess of Wales, the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund was granted intellectual property rights over her image.[5] In 1998, after refusing the Franklin Mint an official license to produce Diana merchandise, the fund sued the company, accusing it of illegally selling Diana dolls, plates and jewelery.[6] In California, where the initial case was tried, a suit to preserve the right of publicity may be filed on behalf of a dead person, but only if that person is a Californian. The Memorial Fund therefore filed the lawsuit on behalf of the estate, and upon losing the case were counter sued by Franklin Mint in 2003. In November 2004, the case was settled out of court with the Diana Memorial Fund agreeing to pay £13.5 million (US $21.5 million) to charitable causes on which both sides agreed.[7] In addition to this, the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund had spent a total of close to £4 million (US $6.5 million) in costs and fees relating to this litigation, and as a result froze grants allocated to a number of charities.[5]

The Franklin Mint seems legit... :roll:
 #138680  by tatittle

TI4-1009 wrote:
tatittle wrote:I seem to remember the Franklin Mint being a very reputable operation, even a contracter for the US gov't.
LOL Yeah I may be misremembering. But for some reason I associate Franklin with the USMint...at least back in the 70's-80's. Probably just a childhood impression that was always wrong. I know they are pretty crappy now either way.
 #153658  by rhat123

tatittle wrote:
TI4-1009 wrote:
LOL Yeah I may be misremembering. But for some reason I associate Custom Wrist Bands with the USMint...at least back in the 70's-80's. Probably just a childhood impression that was always wrong. I know they are pretty crappy now either way.
Please send me an answer of the question given above.