When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #9258  by amyjared

Hey now,
I have found that I'm a visual person and although tab has helped me greatly, DVD instructional video's are the best for me to learn. That's why I love the video on this site! The reason I like dvd's is because when you pause it's clear, I can set the speed for 1/16, 1/4, 1/2, etc. and really learn at my own pace and see more than the tab can show me. I have amassed some great ones and seen some that aren't and wanted to share some of the better ones (imho).

First off, the Legendary Licks one of the Dead is one of my top picks. It's been discussed here already, so I'll just say pick it up!

Jimi Hendrix - Learn the songs from Are You Experienced is another great one. Andy Alendort is the premier Hendrix guitarist/historian and he shows you all the songs, all the parts and even includes some clips of Hendrix playing.

The Signature Licks series is pretty good. I have the Allman brothers and really have learned a lot. I also have the Lynyrd Skynryd, which is just plain fun to play, The Beatles and Eric Clapton's Early Years. They only pick a few songs and show too much of the person playing, but they are professionally done and follow the tab in the books very close. The Clapton is great because they include a jam section that let's you play along with what you've just learned.

Lastly, one of the best is available on ebay at this site:

AJ-Multimedia on ebay

I have 4 of them from this guy and I use them often to learn. They are NOT professional, but the guy dispenses with showing his face, and rather just shows the fretboard. He also plays the actual song and then plays along with it, stops the cd and shows you the parts. He breaks them down slowly and usually they are easy to play. Often he tells which scale to use or which key something is in and throws in something extra. They don't always correspond to the tab that is out there, but they sound right on when he's playing along with the cd's. He's kind of got an obnoxious voice, but his slection of classic rock is great, his song selection is right on, his prices are reasonable and the ordering process is simple.

So, those are my recommendations. The major one that I don't like is the "In the Style of.." since they only include small snippets and riffs and don't have any complete songs, only play the riff twice and don't tell you much about it.
If anyone else has found any that are good/bad, I'd love to know about them.

#9259  by gr8fulbluz

That is awesome.
Answered my question before it was asked. I have been thinking about this for about 4 months just never posted it.

Thank you. I like to learn from DVDs as well. i just have the one, a House of blues, rock house method blues guitar level 2.
It is not bad with web support and backing tracks.

Which reminds me, I haven't been practicing lately. i should break it out and get to work :twisted:

#9261  by jck_strw

Thanks for the pointer Jared. Those ones listed on Ebay sound pretty good.

I have a bunch of Homespun DVDs. They are extremely well-done. Good production values, good tab, etc. They have hundreds and hundreds of videos. I have the following:

--Jorma Kaukonen's Fingerpicking Guitar Method--A great DVD, but very difficult; this is not for first-time fingerpickers.
--Easy Steps to Blues Guitar Jamming by Happy and Artie Traum (both volumes)--The first one is excellent, the second just doesn't have the same oomph the first one has. If you like old-time acoustic blues, this is for you.
--Easy Steps to Acoustic Blues Guitar by Happy Traum (both volumes)--The first one is very basic, but they are both excellent. This set and the one above (even including Volume 2) are fantastic.
--Guitar Soloing 101 by Marcy Marxer--This is the weakest one in the bunch; I'm not a big fan of this one.
--A Guitarist's Guide to Better Practicing by Pete Huttlinger--Some really good practice tips that I wish I could follow on a more regular basis.
--John Sebastian Teaches Blues Harmonica--I had hoped someday to learn the harmonica. So far, the harmonia is resisting. :)

Like I said, they have a huge catalog of stuff. Check them out at: http://www.homespuntapes.com

#9264  by amyjared

Oh, man, I forgot all about Homespun! I have the 2 Doc Watson's (incredible!! and they come with full tab!) and the 3 Jorma's! Unfortunately, I bought them all on video and can't afford/justify re-buying them on dvd, which would be infinitely better! Thanks for the reminder!! I also just recently bought the Jim Croce DVD and if you are into him, it's another great one that I forgot!

#9266  by grateful4booze

It's a bit overwhelming, but the two Warren Haynes videos are great.