When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #131934  by Thomas Lieber
 Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:44 am
This board did such a remarkable job aiding in the recovery of Pete’s missing "Dragon" bass that I thought we would give it another try. This time it is for Jack Casady’s missing Yggdrasil Guild Starfire bass. It went missing in the 70’s. If anyone has any info on its possible whereabouts please let us know. We could care less who originally took the bass and would simply love to see this instrument back into the hands of Mr Casady once more!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjfhsLuOEWI

Thanks and lets wish us luck!!!!
Thomas Lieber
http://www.lieberguitars.com
Last edited by Thomas Lieber on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #131942  by tcsned
 Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:41 pm
Hey, it's worth a shot. Are there any pictures of the headstock? That might make it easier to identify.
 #132131  by Rusty the Scoob
 Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am
Was it changed? From that pic it looks to me like a stock Guild Starfire bass headstock, unlike Phil's Godfather which seems to have received a new fretboard and Alembic-shaped headstock.

Standard Guild headstock, shape seems to match the pic above:

#132138  by FirstBassman
 Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:53 pm
Thomas Lieber wrote:This board did such a remarkable job aiding in the recovery of Pete’s missing "Dragon" bass that I thought we would give it another try. This time it is for Jack Casady’s missing Yggdrasil Guild Starfire bass. It went missing in the 70’s.
Sorry, that this is my first post.

But you may be mixing up different instruments.

Jack's first Guild bass was "lost" in Ohio in late 1968 or early '69. (source: Jack directly to me, conversation at Fur Peace Ranch.)

Maybe you're thinking of the first Alembic bass? That was in the early 70s.

That instrument became damaged and Jack sold it.

Sorry, hope that helps. - Mark
 #132140  by therealrosiemcgee
 Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:27 pm
I took a photo of Jack with this same bass in 1969 in Golden Gate Park, and it's in my book, "Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir". I tried to upload the photo here for you all to see, but I got a, "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," message. I don't know what that's about, since the image is only 183KB. I tried. Rosie McGee
 #132141  by FirstBassman
 Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:57 pm
OK, here is more background from Jack.

Ron Wickersham (one of the founders of Alembic) modified Casady's first Guild bass.
That was the one that was "lost" (stolen?) while on tour ... as I said, late '68 or early '69.

While still on the road, Jack immediately purchased two new off-the-shelf Guild Starfires.
One stayed in S.F. for Wickersham to mod, just like he did the first one.
And Jack continued on tour with the stock Guild.

The original one has never been recovered.
One of the two replacements is now at the R&R Hall of Fame.
Again, this was in the 60s.

But, is it possible that Jack has a faulty memory and it was really in 1970 or so?
Yes, that is possible.
Various members of the Airplane have told me different versions of the same incident.
Even Jack himself has changed stories on me.

But I believe the general info in his story (about buying new ones etc.) is correct.
 #132158  by Rusty the Scoob
 Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:37 am
therealrosiemcgee wrote:I took a photo of Jack with this same bass in 1969 in Golden Gate Park, and it's in my book, "Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir". I tried to upload the photo here for you all to see, but I got a, "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," message. I don't know what that's about, since the image is only 183KB. I tried. Rosie McGee
You can't really attach pics here anymore. You have to use an upload site like imgur.com, then post either the link or better yet put the URL into IMG tags like so: ['img]http://www.url-of-image.com.jpg[/img] (take out the apostrophe before the first "img")
 #132161  by Thomas Lieber
 Tue Sep 10, 2013 6:55 am
therealrosiemcgee wrote:I took a photo of Jack with this same bass in 1969 in Golden Gate Park, and it's in my book, "Dancing with the Dead--A Photographic Memoir". I tried to upload the photo here for you all to see, but I got a, "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached," message. I don't know what that's about, since the image is only 183KB. I tried. Rosie McGee
If you can email mail it to me I will post it here. info@lieberguitars.com

Also the date on the hot tuna video I posted says 1970, date aside lets locate this baby!!!! We do not care who took it and when, only who has most likely cared for a bass they never knew was stolen. We already know this can happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best,
Thomas
 #132216  by TI4-1009
 Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:01 pm
Rosie's here!!!
 #132232  by waldo041
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:33 am
Welcome aboard Rosie!

~waldo
 #132235  by TI4-1009
 Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:07 am
Here's one of her EARLY (and I mean early) photos: