When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #8992  by jck_strw

So I'm watching the Phillies game last night (the bums lost) and, being football season, there was a commercial for something football related. And the voice-over mentions something regarding Barry Sanders 167 yard performance during one of the Thanksgiving games. So I got to thinking--Barry Sanders has got to be the best running back I've ever seen in my life. Walter Payton was phenomenal as well, but his "glory years" came just a bit before my time. So by the time I was really and truly cognizant of football/greatness/etc. Barry was the man. And boy could Barry run. Never seen anything like him. It's a shame he was on all those awful Detroit teams, but having a swiss cheese offensive line did create some memorable Barry runs. It's been 7 years since Barry retired and there may be some folks who missed a large portion of his career. Check it out:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uabdasz0fKk

Turn down the music and just watch. Jaw-dropping.

Just some idle Friday afternoon thinking.

#8995  by phpbb

Being a Detroiter, I was fortunate to watch him in person. I was hoping that he would get to play for a team that could actually support him.

#8996  by jck_strw

The thing about him was his explosiveness. An overused term to be sure, but he really could just stop/start like no other. Once he saw his hole (the real one, not the one he would start to, then roll back around to the other side of the field), he was gone. He moved around guys like they were standing still. Phenomenal.

It's been a long time since I watched Barry. I'm glad there's YouTube (for now).

#9005  by grateful4booze

The three best NFL RBs I got to see in person was Earl Campbell , Tony Dorsett, and Emmitt Smith. I got to see Earl many times at UT games as I grew up in Austin. Then I got to see him several times when he played in Houston. I saw Emmitt and TD once each in Dallas. I saw Ricky Williams a bunch at UT, too.

#9009  by jahozer

lets not forget THE JUICE!!!
Murderer or not, ol OJ was an awesome running back

#9014  by hobo

That is so true, OJ was amazing, he came into the league and absolutely dominated. But a guy you're all forgetting is Jim Brown, obviously I wasn't around to see him, but from everything i've read and seen, the guy was the most dominant football player of all time. But if you're talking explosiveness, it's Barry. Guy could be running feel speed, stop on a dime, and then be going the opposite direction at full speed again in a split second.

#9015  by LazyLightnin

with all the Reggie Bush allegations going down, i heard on espn the possibility that he might have his heisman taken away. but what caught me was that the only player to have that happen to the was oj simpson, but they didnt say why. was this becuz he murdered his wife*?

* (allegedly) :-?

#9016  by jahozer

I really dont see what was so wrong with what Reggie did. So what if Agents want to vie for his attention. Colleges and pro teams do that shit all the time. Maybe not with straight cash, but gifts and scholarships.
I thought OJ lost his in the civil case. Not really being taken away, but I could be wrong.