When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #173411  by lbpesq

Hi everyone. I'm really liking my recently acquired SSP 1x12 cab, currently loaded with an old Jensen Neo-100. It has not yet left my home studio and, given the VERY open back nature of the design, I have a little trepidation about something poking the back of the speaker during transportation. Any clever solutions or advice regarding protecting the speaker during transportation would be greatly appreciated.

Bill, tgo
 #173412  by Jon S.

I own 2. I can't comment on the back of the cabs (I've never had a concern) but I did order mine with both magnet-attached front speaker "grills" (mine have tie-dyed muslin fabric I selected personally) AND additional solid wood front covers (not pictured but I can if helpful). I'm thinking the latter could work for the rear of the cabs, too.

For better or worse, I've since sold the FYD preamp and McIntosh amp. I now drive both cabs from my SMS preamp into my Carvin DCM200L.

#173416  by tdcrjeff

I've gigged mine only single digits (I'm primarily a drummer) and the thought of protecting the back never even crossed my mind. How many million gigs have been played with Fender open backed combos and how often has it been an issue? How about stuffing a small blanket/pillow/piece of foam/cloth of some sort inside while transporting. But don't forget to take it out. I played one gig where it wasn't until the third song I noticed I hadn't taken off my *front* cover. :?
 #173417  by lbpesq

Just about all my combos had a board running across the back with openings above and below, ala Fender. I like your idea of a light weight cloth, just enough protection if something pokes in there.

Don’t feel bad about leaving the cover on. I did the same thing when I was trying out speakers. After trying an EVM12L (which sounded marvelous), I swapped in the Jensen Neo and started playing. My initial thought was that I expected the EV to sound better, but THIS MUCH BETTER!!?? Then I realized I had left the cover on. Dohh!

Bill, tgo
 #173422  by Jon S.

strumminsix wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 am Buy a padded cab cover. I have a pair from this guy and they're nicely made: https://rigg.us/custom-amp-cover-quote/
Are any of them SSP 1x12 covers (such that the seller already has the measurements)?
 #173423  by strumminsix

Jon S. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:01 am
strumminsix wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:40 am Buy a padded cab cover. I have a pair from this guy and they're nicely made: https://rigg.us/custom-amp-cover-quote/
Are any of them SSP 1x12 covers (such that the seller already has the measurements)?
Unsure. I sent him pics and dimensions of 2 custom cabs that I like to store and run vertically with oversized handles and had great covers in a week.
Jon S. liked this
 #173525  by lbpesq

I wound up ordering a custom cover from LeCover. $36, including shipping, for basic black. I sent them all the measurements and some pics, so they now have the dimensions for the SSP on file.

Bill, tgo
 #173527  by strumminsix

lbpesq wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:35 pm I wound up ordering a custom cover from LeCover. $36, including shipping, for basic black. I sent them all the measurements and some pics, so they now have the dimensions for the SSP on file.

Bill, tgo
Did you hear back from Larry? He lives about 5 minutes from me. Last month I emailed and called and texted but never heard back from him :cry:
 #173530  by lbpesq

I quickly received instructions on the necessary measurements in response to my initial email inquiry. I then sent him the dimensions and some pics. Didn't hear back for a week, so I called and left a message. I got a quick call back from Larry. He apologized, said he never saw my email, and asked me to resend it. I then received an email with the order form within the hour. I went ahead and ordered and paid. Now I'll see how long it takes.

Bill
 #173601  by lbpesq

Well, the order with LeCover went all to hell. After I sent him the dimensions, I didn't hear back. So I contacted him again. He claimed he hadn't received my previous email with the dimensions, so I sent them again.

On August 9th, I received an invoice and paid. The invoice included a $.99 charge for shipping, which I thought was cool, and that shipping had also been considered in the original $35 price. After paying I didn't hear a peep from him.

Today I emailed him inquiring about the ETA for the cover. He emailed me back, claiming he had sent me emails on 8/9 and 8/11 advising me that I had to pay an additional $9.95 for shipping and that he had never heard back from me. I checked my emails, only to discover that he had never emailed me with the additional shipping costs at anytime. In addition, going over the emails, it appeared that he had never acknowledged receiving payment. I checked my Amex and, sure enough, he was paid on August 10th.

I emailed him back, sent him a copy of the invoice he had sent on August 9th, and asked for either an ETA or a refund. This afternoon he emailed me back that he was refunding my money, but that it might take a couple of days.

I would warn others to avoid LeCover as a source for covers. I would expect a business to act more professionally and be aware that they have been paid.

Bill, tgo