When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #170160  by lbpesq

I recently picked up a Hotone Xtomp Mini. It's a single modelling pedal that can be loaded by bluetooth through an app on your phone. It can function as an amp modeller (more than 40 amps to choose from), a cab modeller (about 30), or you can choose from about 100 different pedals listed in the following categories: distortion, dynamic, frequency, modulation, and ambient. And you can set each pedal as either true bypass or buffer bypass. It also has a section of "signature" and "special" pedals. The big brother Xtomp additionally has a bunch of dual pedals available.

I admit when I got this I really didn't expect much. I viewed as a relatively inexpensive way to try a bunch of different effects without having to spend a lot of money. Then, if I found something I liked, I could always do a little research and grab the "real pedal version".

Then I started reading the reviews and checking the library out. WOW! This thing really has a lot of models that sound good! And the versatility is like nothing else out there, especially for it's size and convenience.

Here's a link to a list of amps/cabs/pedals available, as well as a youtube review by the Anderton guys:

http://www.musicpsych.com/docs/latest_n ... vHaN.shtml

So has anyone else tried these out?

Bill, tgo
 #170161  by Jon S.

Am I the only one finding the moniker "Hotone" hilarious? :lol:
 #170167  by lbpesq

could be "Hot one"
could be "Ho tone"
could be "Ho Tony"
but I believe it is really "Hot tone"

Reminds me of the old story from the Algonquin Round Table. They played a game where one person would say a word and another had to use it in a humorous manner. Dorothy Parker was given as a challenge the word "horticulture", to which she replied "you can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think"

hehehehe

Bill, tgo
Jon S., TI4-1009, Chocol8 liked this
 #170903  by adamcole

Is it possible for me to know the difference between the Xtomp and the actual piece of gear it's modelling? Both yes and no. I can hear the modeller while I'm using the Xtomp live and we're playing Satriani's Summer Song, and it's not the same as vpn for windows. Whether, on the other hand, I'm loving the band we opened for or the one who opened for us and their guitarist is using the Xtomp, that's a different storey.
 #170909  by Jon S.

They should have named the company Toohondle (Too Hot to Handle).