When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #165116  by waldo041
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 am
i hear guys like the axefx, or other new similar type modeler for this reason.

That said, I should state that when a Jerry Equipment and Guitar rig are setup up properly. Volume or ear piercing high transients are no more. Those are actually indications to a rig that is not yet tuned properly. Some would need earplugs for that.

~waldo
hippieguy1954 liked this
 #165119  by hippieguy1954
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:10 am
waldo041 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:32 am
i hear guys like the axefx, or other new similar type modeler for this reason.

That said, I should state that when a Jerry Equipment and Guitar rig are setup up properly. Volume or ear piercing high transients are no more. Those are actually indications to a rig that is not yet tuned properly. Some would need earplugs for that.

~waldo
Yea tell that to Phil :lol:
I understand what you are saying about piercing high transients being no more when everything is correct, and that is true and proven, but loud is loud. Even without the high transients. When I see my speakers flopping around, it's fucking loud! Sounds great too! No high transients at all.
Some of the folks I hear with the correct tuned rig and great chops using lower volume and one speaker (clean no effects) seem to be lacking the intensity of that seering tone and breakup when you would expect /want it.
Edit to add that when/if you mic the cab, that introduces a whole other dynamic. :shock:
rugger liked this
 #165120  by cripeowner
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:58 am
Be professional and turn down. Having said that unless you have some quality gear it can be hard. I have several "Jerry rigs" tube powered & macs. I never bought into "You can only sound good when rockin and E120 back & forth. I am constantly being told I should turn up a little and I refuse. I turn up the next guy does the same and it doesn't stop. Serve the music not your self. If you tune your rig right you should hear yourself. Invest in some quality NOS V1 or V2 pre amp tubes, and power tubes. It makes a world of difference. If your band can only bring volume up and not back down again the joy of it all will not be fully realized.
 #165122  by Jblue76
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:29 pm
Thanks for all of the input so far. It is true that my Jerry rig sounds sweet at low volumes; It’s a bit harder to control the volume once I’ve got a few effects layered in there. And there is no high frequency problem at all, in fact, once I got it modded up and tapped to an mc50 I was initially surprised because there was less treble then I thought there would be. The dead cover band I’m playing in is very new and we do all need to exercise some discipline with our volumes. We practice in a small rehersal space. Until we get there, I want some protection.

I am not exclusively a Jerry rig player. The other band I’ve been playing with is much more of an indie rock type band. We play mostly originals, and any covers are in the vein of Pavement for example. I play through a very different rig for that get up— Orange Retro 50 head and a 4x12 closed back cab. With that set up, to achieve a certain tone one really does need a bit of volume. Anyhow, still looking for an ear plug recommendation if anyone has one.

Thanks again everyone!
J.
 #165123  by waldo041
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:08 pm
Jerry had 3 volumes and a gain controlled named volume by fender. 1 on his guitar, one on his mac and 2 on his blackface twin and 1 on his silverface.

Now with that said, dissonance becomes perceived as loudness as well. The band can blame you as the loud one( and that can usually be where the blame lies) but if/when the other instruments/rigs are sub-par or lack clarity you play with, The one that is crystal clear, present and out front is the one everyone will blame for being too loud because it can be heard clearly over the mix. That said, there are some stupid fucks who just play to damn loud, i agree! i was guilty of it for many years. But you have to look at ALL the parameters involved in the equation when this complaint arrives. It is a known fact that a majority of sub par players/equipment will intentionally turn themselves down or have no real knowledge or control of their own gear. When everyone is leveled correctly and the band is rocking there should be no difference in loudness from any one player in the band. This can be manipulated by ALL members and consciously turn down as a unit. But if Egos and lack of knowledge are involved chaos ensues and hearing protection may be needed. The very man we love had all that power at his fingertips but used it for dynamics and moved it around. He did not just turn it up to 10 and play as loud as he could. Well he could and stated if he did and laid into the guitars he could blow up his speakers on command. If you can't get the same basic tone at 3 on your guitars volume, and add a dirt pedal if needed, then you are not tuned up yet. This applies each member of the band. Sub-par equipment is OK for rehearsal. Performances need the best you have dialed in and mated with all the other instruments in the band. If it is then too loud, it is not not the musicians who need the ear plugs, it is the individuals that complain that it is too loud in the audience! It's a rock show not a library. Do you really need a Twin/2300 and jbls in a 200 person room? Plan accordingly.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.

YMMV

~waldo
 #165127  by strumminsix
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:59 pm
3 choices...
1. Isolating in ear monitors
2. Ambient in ear monitors
3. Ear plugs

Research your options. For concerts I use regular eat plugs. On stage I prefer ambient iems with a submix I control.
 #165128  by PurpleTrails
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 pm
Don't delude yourself that your properly dialed in Jerry rig can't hurt your hearing. Aural damage is cumulative. I have tinnitus, and its onset was triggered when I was playing through a solid state practice amp with an 8" speaker in a reasonably large room.

I wish I had worn earplugs at most of the hundreds or thousands of concerts I've attended, and even more while playing myself. Having said that, I've had very good luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E2 ... =UTF8&th=1

I've tried several other types at various price points, and these have the most balanced spectrum without being totally useless at protecting your ears that I've used.
Jblue76 liked this
 #165129  by lbpesq
 Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:39 pm
I have a pair of Eargasms that I like. I believe they come in different sizes and models.

Bill, tgo
Jblue76 liked this
 #165130  by cripeowner
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:32 am
One of the best thing for me was the drummer went to electronic drums for rehearsals.
 #165131  by Jon S.
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:33 am
I'll leave the equipment comments and "just turning down" to others. It's not that those opinions are intrinsically worthless, it's that, as a practical matter, you usually can't control what others do. So like the old poster of the boy scout with condoms, be prepared.

Several years back, upon visiting a professional audiologist, I sprung for a pair of custom-fitted Westones but I just didn't like them. So I went instead with Earasers and am happy with those.

Here's the best piece of advice I can add for you. No protection, however well-fitted and functional, is useful if it's not with you when you need it. So in addition to copping the hearing protection of your preference, be sure to also get a holder for them that attaches to your keychain (see below). Then you'll have them with you virtually always.

As others have mentioned, concerts these days can be as harmful to your hearing as your own playing. So "be prepared."

https://www.earasers.net/collections/mu ... i-earplugs

Last edited by Jon S. on Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jblue76, brbadg liked this
 #165132  by Jon S.
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:35 am
PurpleTrails wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:27 pm
I've had very good luck with these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E2 ... =UTF8&th=1

I've tried several other types at various price points, and these have the most balanced spectrum without being totally useless at protecting your ears that I've used.
Yup, me too.
 #165133  by Jblue76
 Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:50 am
Thanks so much guys. Before I got this recommendation I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Etymotic plugs. $27 so we’ll see how it goes. They do come with a case and a wire. If they’re not great I’ll definately give the ones you’ve recommended here a go.