#156819  by TeeJay
 Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:02 pm
Dude, nicely done. Thanks-
 #156820  by johngtr67
 Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:16 pm
Great stuff man!!
Really good quality instructional piece!
Keep it up!

John
 #156821  by beaner
 Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:22 am
He's a fantastic musician and an absolutely wonderful human being. He's also a consummate player, always gigging, always writing and teaching. I am truly grateful to know him as a musical brother.
 #161044  by old man down
 Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:02 pm
I've been playing the studio-cut lead to Deal for umpteen years now.

Just browsing, came across this thread, and thought I'd click on the link.

At first glance, the "in your face" (glasses? :-) ) view of amarguitar (Amar?) was slightly off-putting, but I stayed with it to see what he would teach.

Oh my God! Mind blowing, and yet such a simple and effective means of teaching. What an incredible video. And then he went into enjoyable-to-watch in-depth theory. But more than this, his focus provides easy to follow 'thought,' what with ideas of how the notes "trick the mind" and sound correct. Phenomenal presentation skills.

And he has nice gear.

You young guys, who have embraced technology, and have mastered the ability to harness technology to convey your ideas, you're just beyond amazing.

This video couldn't have been easy to create. It is so well thought out, and so well presented. I don't know what Amar is doing for a living, but with his skills he can parlay his communication abilities into a high paying career. He'll easily be a millionaire someday. Just has to match up his skills with the needs of Corporate America.

Well done, and beaner, thanks for posting! :cool: :hail: :-)
strumminsix liked this
 #161046  by Jon S.
 Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:07 pm
Wonderful! I have my work cut out for me now, too.
 #161048  by tcsned
 Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:41 pm
Interesting and helpful stuff. This guy’s got a whole lot more patience than me to learn specific solos note-for-note. I think through things a bit different than he does. I don’t look at it as a bunch of key changes though technically it’s not incorrect. I see it as kind of a stock song form with the I - III7 - ii - IV to start the song. I love tunes with the I - III7 change at the beginning. Mississippi Half Step, Ophelia (the Band), All of Me (Hoagie Charmical i think) and so on. There is lots of good stuff he goes over that is useful to transfer to other tunes - especially thinking about the chord forms when improvising - great advice.
 #161049  by lightningbolt
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:19 am
This is great but all these years it seems I have been playing Deal wrong. I never knew or heard the E chord.

JDarks apparently doesn't either as it isn't in his tab. The E just doesn't sound right to me.

Do you all hear an E?
lovetoboogie liked this
 #161050  by tcsned
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 am
lightningbolt wrote:
This is great but all these years it seems I have been playing Deal wrong. I never knew or heard the E chord.

JDarks apparently doesn't either as it isn't in his tab. The E just doesn't sound right to me.

Do you all hear an E?
That’s how I’ve always played it. The E is kind of a passing chord to the D.
 #161051  by tcsned
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:02 am
I played this last weekend:
https://youtu.be/_GODerl51KA

I mostly played a double stop like this:

E|----------------------
B|------10-----9-----7--
G|----------------------
D|--11------9-----7-----
A|----------------------
E|----------------------
 #161052  by lovetoboogie
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am
lightningbolt wrote:

Do you all hear an E?
It's most definitely not E... His tab even gives it up by fleshing out the A arpeggio at times. The G# (3rd of E) just wouldn't work other than a chromatic or incidental while soloing...

The studio version of Deal is very clean...you can hear Garcia go from the F#m to A on his way to D7 and Adim7...

Phil, on the other hand, walks that down traditionally by playing an E note(5th of A)....

With that said, this kid really shines on breaking this down...his tone, touch and feel are super inspiring!
Last edited by lovetoboogie on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #161053  by Gr8fulCadi
 Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:51 am
lovetoboogie wrote:
Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:30 am
lightningbolt wrote:

Do you all hear an E?
It's most definitely not E... His tab even gives it up by fleshing out the A arpeggio at times. The G# (3rd of E) just wouldn't work other than a chromatic or incidental while soloing...

The studio version of Deal is very clean...you can hear Garcia go from the F#m to A on his way to D7 and D#dim...

Phil, on the other hand, walks that down traditionally by playing an E note(5th of A)....
I learn 99% of the tunes I play by ear and Deal was a tricky one for me. I first learned it playing the A on the way up to the D7. Then I read a tab somewhere and they used the E and I played it like that for awhile. Whichever it is, I prefer the sound of the A and it’s easier/flows better for me. Interesting stuff, thanks! And yes, kudos for the fella above to break these leads down for sure!!

But for me, I definitely don’t get caught up in playing his leads note for note tho, the freedom to improvise kind of gets lost at times. Certain licks are needed note for note but the majority of his leads I’ll throw my own spin on it, ‘in the style of JG’. More fun for me that way.
lovetoboogie liked this