#51803  by Tennessee Jedi

Checked out the 2nd set( could'nt resist
) yesterday - it was pretty good.1976 is a year I dont have much of.
The 1st set looks good too ....

:cool:

#51804  by Emoto

I got the SBD of this the other day form a different source and was just listening last night. Only made it as far as TJ, but what a great show. I thought Archive wasn't having SBDs anymore?

#51808  by strumminsix

Emoto wrote:I got the SBD of this the other day form a different source and was just listening last night. Only made it as far as TJ, but what a great show. I thought Archive wasn't having SBDs anymore?
The Archive allows SBDs & AUD.

Only AUD is allowed for downloading.

SBD downloads were a legal contractual conflict with official release. But you can still trade them and BT them since BT is virtual trading!

#51809  by Emoto

strumminsix wrote:
Emoto wrote:I got the SBD of this the other day form a different source and was just listening last night. Only made it as far as TJ, but what a great show. I thought Archive wasn't having SBDs anymore?

SBD downloads were a legal contractual conflict with official release. But you can still trade them and BT them since BT is virtual trading!
Oh yes, that's right. I had forgotten.

I think it was a bit more than contractual conflict that stopped the SBD downloads, though. I think it was the band (really Mickey sand Bobby, unless I am mistaken) spearheading the effort. Really kind of soured me on both of them, frankly, as people, anyway.

#51810  by Tennessee Jedi

the 1st set is smoking !
I'm just hitting Looks like Rain now
LOVE Bobs guitar sound !
Great Row Jimmy and Sugaree too
:smile:

#51811  by strumminsix

Emoto wrote:
strumminsix wrote:

Oh yes, that's right. I had forgotten.

I think it was a bit more than contractual conflict that stopped the SBD downloads, though. I think it was the band (really Mickey sand Bobby, unless I am mistaken) spearheading the effort. Really kind of soured me on both of them, frankly, as people, anyway.
The problem, as it was explained to me by somebody with some inside scoop works like this:

DL'ing was deemed by the legal folks as not trading.
BT'ing was deemed by legal folks as trading.

The lawyers said because of that an official release of a show that is on the web available for download was a potential profit loss.

So that takes care of say 50 shows.

There is a future goal to have all shows available electronically (commercially too) and therefore they cannot allow SBDs.

Maybe it changes minds maybe not. Just the scoop I know...

#51812  by Emoto

That's cool. Archive certainly wasn't in any position to fund any opposition to a legal threat, even though many thought it absurd that things long out of control of the band, and given freely to us should suddenly become the exclusive property of the band to control. Anyhow, sorry for the hijack.

#51813  by Tennessee Jedi

Ironic that Weirs buddy Barlow helped found the Archive ...
It doesnt matter its too late all the stuff is already out there !
Other than a Dick's Pick's I just realized I have zero '76 Dead !

#51814  by Emoto

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Ironic that Weirs buddy Barlow helped found the Archive ...
It doesnt matter its too late all the stuff is already out there !
Other than a Dick's Pick's I just realized I have zero '76 Dead !
Then, you should get some! I think of it as a kind og "gentle" sounding year from a Garcia perspective, but I don't have enough of a perspective to be sure about that.

My first show was 8/2/76 at Colt Park in Hartford. Went with a college bud of mine.

#51821  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Ironic that Weirs buddy Barlow helped found the Archive ...
Barlow is out there! And I love hearing his thoughts and writings but cannot get behind everything he says but do alot of what he says.

One of his more interesting points is about "intellectual properly" and how that has changed with the advent of the internet and all info can and should be shared for free - but it's heavier than that.

Not sure how he sees anyone making a living with that mindset since I am sure he makes decent dough with his columns and other writings.

#51844  by bodiddley

So freaking mellow...I still love it though.

1976= "I don't know, It musta been the Qualudes".

#51845  by bodiddley

So freaking mellow...I still love it though.

#51846  by Emoto

bodiddley wrote:So freaking mellow...I still love it though.

LOL

Actually, I think trying to play on Quaaludes was the worst musical experience I ever had. A drummer friend and I tried it together. You knew the beat and time for each note was coming, and you would try to pick the string when you wanted, but all that would happen is that the time to pick the note would get past - and you would watch it go by you in slow motion, helplessly - and THEN when it was way too late, your hand would finally execute your brain's command and you would pluck the note. Horrible. Maybe all downers are like that, I don't know...

#51849  by bodiddley

Sorry about the double post. I just listened to the "Crazy Fingers". Holy shit! Just gorgeous. Keith is really superb on this show. I will need to investigate further...