#155125  by TI4-1009

No, but I saw The Band at Kleinhans Music Hall three months before that. I'll never figure out why I didn't know about the Dead show.
 #155128  by tcsned

TI4-1009 wrote:No, but I saw The Band at Kleinhans Music Hall three months before that. I'll never figure out why I didn't know about the Dead show.
according to the article they were a last minute replacement for The Byrds, there may not have been any advertising.
 #155167  by tdcrjeff

No known recording exists. Bear didn't record it and despite what the article says, in 1970 audience recording was not encouraged. There certainly are audience recordings from 1970 that help cover some of the holes in the board recordings (primarily due to Bear's legal problems), but not this show.
 #155168  by TI4-1009

My first real Dead show (after Woodstock) was in November 1970 at U of Rochester in a small basketball court arena. We were sitting in the bleachers up on the side, and I vaguely remember a guy next to us holding a microphone and giving us dirty looks if we talked too loud. There's only one recording of this available (I believe), and you can hear the audience chatter, so I always wondered if that was us jabbering. Hey, it was a first date- I had to be sociable...

https://archive.org/details/gd70-11-20. ... sbeok.shnf

From Rolling Stone article on top 10 guests playing with the Dead:

9. Jorma Kaukonen
University of Rochester, Rochester, New York
November 20th, 1970
Listen at Archive.org

Serendipitously, the Jefferson Airplane were playing the War Memorial in Rochester, New York, the same 1970 evening that the Dead were doing a college late-nighter. So after his band's gig ended, Airplane guitar pilot Jorma Kaukonen headed over to campus to join the Dead for a hot take on the Bobby Womack-via-Rolling Stones nugget "It's All Over Now," some smoking blues jams (both country and Chicago-style) and a rocking rendition of the old folk standard "Darling Corey." Sketchy sound on the surviving bootlegs, but fiery playing.

Here's someone else's memory of the night from archive. Whew- those were the days- 5 sets?!

"My first Dead show. And what a doozy and scene it was (for pre-med, egghead, army brat, 21 yo me), considering it was upstate NY university. Hopped on that bus! Lots and lots of good stories from that concert! My recollection is that it was a (Lesh-Jerry-Mickey) NRPS set, then an acoustic Dead, then 3 electric Dead sets, at least the last one of which had Jorma. I sooo wish I also had that Jerry NRPS set-- psychedelic pedal steel ("get off the wah-wah pedal, son" is the punchline to one of the stories). I remember Lesh trying to coax Jack on stage, e.g. playing the "White Rabbit" riff at him, but I don't recall Jack actually getting on stage. Whew, Jorma stinging guitar is my memory."

And just to completely overdo it, here's a post from 5 years ago that I did on that show:

forum/viewtopic.php?f=311&t=11924&p=110 ... er#p110670
 #155175  by TI4-1009

Great link- thanks! Would have been worth it just to hear the Dead playing through Princetons!

"I also found another mention in a recent Bob Weir interview (he will be playing with the Marin Symphony Orchestra in a couple months):
"The first time The Dead ever played with a symphony orchestra was in Buffalo, New York. The number one challenge is that a rock n’ roll trap drum kit is twice as loud as a symphony orchestra by itself, un-amplified. We took the smallest amplifiers we had, they were Fender Princetons and they were only seven watts loud. Even then we had to turn them down to the point where we couldn’t get any tone out of them.""
 #155183  by tcsned

TI4-1009 wrote:Great link- thanks! Would have been worth it just to hear the Dead playing through Princetons!

"I also found another mention in a recent Bob Weir interview (he will be playing with the Marin Symphony Orchestra in a couple months):
"The first time The Dead ever played with a symphony orchestra was in Buffalo, New York. The number one challenge is that a rock n’ roll trap drum kit is twice as loud as a symphony orchestra by itself, un-amplified. We took the smallest amplifiers we had, they were Fender Princetons and they were only seven watts loud. Even then we had to turn them down to the point where we couldn’t get any tone out of them.""
lol - I've done a handful of musical theater gigs with orchestras and the volume issue is a problem, playing painfully quiet and still getting told to turn down :D
 #155185  by TI4-1009

Anyone been to the Warren Haynes Wolf symphonic gigs? How did they handle it? Not really a band- only one guitar- but how did it balance?