#114726  by ebick

......as I digitize the ones I want......is there anyone out there that still wants cassette tapes? Hard to imagine.....
 #114728  by Jimaroe

I can't get rid of mine. They're sitting in parents basement. I designed half of the covers with art when I was a pup. My kids don't even know what a cassette tape is, my soundboard tapes aren't close to the quality that's available today, but damn I've got some memories and well, Those things were gold to me back in the day. Besides, they don't take up that much space. :lol:
 #114729  by madmonkvinyl

HALT!! Ebick, I'd love to take these off your hands. 75% of my Dead collection is on cassette. I don't have a way to digitize it - and I'm not sure I want to! I'm a bit of a luddite and I drive an 87 Dakota that only has a cassette player. Some of my favorite moments are driving and listening to my favorite shows. I'm a sucker for the medium, what can I say?

I'm happy to send blanks (CDRs, of course) and postage, or, if you prefer (bad etiquette, I know, just trying to make it worth your while, as you don't know me from Adam) I can Payapl you a few bucks - name your price. I have some things to trade, but a LOT are on tape. Send me your list and I'll see if I can scare up anything. Just let me know. Really do want these!
 #114735  by RiverRat

I feel your pain... I've shuffled 300-400 tapes around with me during... (Counting my fingers and toes to recall all the moves) 5 moves. I've yet to actually play one tape in that time, yet I can't bring myself to throw them out. I've considered placing an ad on Craigslist to just give away the whole bunch to anyone willing to cart them away.

The only time I actually get possessive and/or defensive about them is when my wife suggests I throw them away.
 #114739  by ebick

madmonkvinyl wrote:HALT!! Ebick, I'd love to take these off your hands. 75% of my Dead collection is on cassette. I don't have a way to digitize it - and I'm not sure I want to! I'm a bit of a luddite and I drive an 87 Dakota that only has a cassette player. Some of my favorite moments are driving and listening to my favorite shows. I'm a sucker for the medium, what can I say?

I'm happy to send blanks (CDRs, of course) and postage, or, if you prefer (bad etiquette, I know, just trying to make it worth your while, as you don't know me from Adam) I can Payapl you a few bucks - name your price. I have some things to trade, but a LOT are on tape. Send me your list and I'll see if I can scare up anything. Just let me know. Really do want these!
OK......I'm just starting what I expect to be a leisurely project......they will be yours and we'll establish something.....I'll send them to you in batches as I finish them.
 #114740  by hogan

RiverRat wrote: I've considered placing an ad on Craigslist to just give away the whole bunch to anyone willing to cart them away.
I did that. 2 youngsters showed up in a beat up street van and took them. The look on their faces when I kept coming downstairs w/ contractor bag after bag full of XL-IIs and SA-90s was well worth it. They were so geeked.
 #114744  by oconnors_35

I gave a whole bunch of cassettes away in the lot at a Phil & Friends show at Great Woods about 5 years ago......probably 50-75 tapes, also gave away a whole box of Relix and Golden Road magazines at the same show.
SeanO
 #114746  by NWPines

Glad to hear I'm not the only one with this "problem." We're moving (again) in mid Aug and this just came up. I told my better half that anything she hasn't used in 2+ years is probably not worth the trouble to move. I'd love to jettison some of our stuff and called her on the fact that we keep moving boxes and boxes of her crap that she never even unpacks. She immediately came back with "What about the hundreds of cassette tapes of yours? Your tape player isn't even hooked up anymore!" She got me. But it did get me thinking, why the hell do I still have all these tapes?? They're all available to me digitally now, but I still have such a hard time letting them go.
 #114747  by madmonkvinyl

Thank you, Ebick! Very excited. Like I said, I have some great shows to trade, but they're all on cassette. Though I'm a 77-82 guy right now (ummm, especially if you omit the year of my birth, 1978 - :lol: ), my tapes are mostly late 80s because that's when I got into the band and started collecting (my uncle also had a few to get me started).

PM me and we can work out details. I'm happy to compensate you for at least postage and 'handling' of these. A few at a time or all at once, either works for me. Let me know. Thanks a bunch...you made my day!
 #114748  by mgbills

I must've been seeing the Boys for 4 years before I got my first 10 tapes. I must've run into 20 guys who were like "What shows you got to trade?" I had nothing. Finally, I found some kind souls who would burn stuff...and Man was I freakin' stoked. Spent every extra cent on XLII's.

Years later I put a posting on the old AOL Dead Forum...before AOL had a web browser. Found a guy who had 95% of The Eleven's from the early days. I was so pleased. He burned them all. There they sit...in one of those tape wall display cases.

Like eveyone else, I moved those tapes 4-5 times without playing one. What to do? Between early digital formats & the Archive...I've got a huge pod full of it now. Ug.

I guess giving somebody a Miracle on these is the way to go. But my attachment is ...large.
Peace
M
 #114750  by dleonard

mgbills wrote:Spent every extra cent on XLII's.
haha same here! these were me and my friends choices for our mix tapes. one guy's brother was a dj....awesome
 #125515  by NWPines

Just before we moved in Dec, I finally decided to let my tapes go. I posted them for free on craigslist, and literally within a half hour there was a guy picking them up, really fired up about it. Have to admit I was kind of shocked, but really happy they went to a good home. Made it so much easier to see them go.