#109618  by hippieguy1954

I've been doing searches to find a good sounding recording of this show. I'm not sure why (could be me lol), but I can't find it! I was there at age 21 and it was my 4th show. Can anyone help me find it? Thanks in advance!
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #109619  by mkaufman

I was there too! The soundboard recording is very heavy on Phil.

You'll find it here:
http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/art ... /year/1976

Not only that, look hard enough and you'll find a video of the show! Not great quality, but rare none-the-less!

mk
 #109626  by gr8fullfred

The Roosevelt Stadium Shows were some of, if not, the best shows I ever saw. The energy and the vibe at those shows was awesome. To this day just the mention of the Roosevelt Stadium shows sends chills up and down my spine. Back in this time frame, the Dead used to take sometimes 10 minutes to tune up between songs. The concerts were very long, practically marathons.

And oh yeah, THE WALL OF SOUND! YEAH BABY, THE WALL OF SOUND, UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL.

If the Glen was not enough for ya, there were a couple of shows at Roosevelt to finish you off!
17 years old, digging the dead. I think it left an indelible impression on me. Not sure, but I think so.
Last edited by gr8fullfred on Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #109628  by hippieguy1954

vwjodyme wrote:this one?

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1976-0 ... 697.flac24

there are also some youtubes
Thanks again, but the link for the archive.org is only available for streaming, I think. I can't see any way to download it. Maybe I'm missing something, so I will look again, but I don't think it's downloadable.
 #109632  by hippieguy1954

mkaufman wrote:I was there too! The soundboard recording is very heavy on Phil.

You'll find it here:
http://db.etree.org/db/shows/browse/art ... /year/1976

Not only that, look hard enough and you'll find a video of the show! Not great quality, but rare none-the-less!

mk
Thank you very much! There are downloads of this show here, but no soundboards. I think it might be a Dicks Picks and thats why ya can't download the soundboard. I'm hoping one of these taper downloads is good. One has a great review. We will see!
 #109634  by dleonard

do you dudes ever just thank whatever power there is that you were born in a time when you got to see Jerry and the Dead play? what I would do to see the real GD. Unfortunately, being born in '85 I was a bit too young to venture out on my own to a show even in '95
 #109636  by gr8fullfred

Do you younger dudes realize how lucky we all are that the dead's taping policy left us a mighty legacy of shows to enjoy today? Without that, much would have been lost forever.

Another additional thing for the younger folks to understand is that to a large degree, before In the Dark, the Dead were not that big a deal. Like for instance, if you showed up for the Roosevelt shows, it would have been no problem to buy a ticket to get in. Probably was not sold out. Lots of tickets to buy out side the venue, or pick up a ticket at ticketmaster on the way to the show. The concept of a miracle ticket had probably not been realized yet, because anyone who wanted one could get one.

Yep, time marches on, and yes we were lucky enough to have the GD in our experience. And I do not know if you could possibly relate to this, but the Dead did three tours of the east coast yearly. It was not an issue of "if we were going to see the dead" it was more like, " how many shows can I get to this tour". And among our friends, the question was not "are you going to see the dead?" rather the question was "which shows are you going to?"

And again, the Roosevelt shows were magical.