Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #12499  by boots66

Im looking for a better way to play the main lick in foolish heart please help other than the tab on this site

#12509  by LazyLightnin

Play it in first position so that your using open chords. i beleive thats where Jerry played it(not exactly sure tho, thats just what i hear). the open A gives it that fully-powered sound you hear. the lick starts on the D of the B string. bar the E and B strings with your first finger to accuratley pull it off. its pretty simple, you should be able to get it from there. there are a few other licks during the verse that i havent figured out, so any help from the community would be grateful. preferably posted in the "foolish heart" tab section so as to keep comsistency, with the rest of the forums. ive been dying to try this acoustic with another player, all good things in all good time my friend 8)
 #98928  by hawk900

intro lick in first pos.
I play on high B and E strings as well . Slightly diff from above.
Start your index finger on the C# just before the D and slowly practice this and work you way to the A on the high E string.
D C# D C# E (all B string)
F# E G# A (all E string that same E note from above line)
hawk
 #98996  by old man down

Have been working on this song for the last month. Acoustic Guitar.

Although the open position riff will work, on acoustic it is a little too jangly and slightly cumbersome with the wider frets there. You can get a more sublime rendering if you work off of the A bar chord at the 5th fret, but don't try to do it straight across and drop down a fret for the final note. Instead, work up to the higher fret after the 4th note is played.

There are 3 places to play it, generally speaking. The open position can ring nicely but also be a little thin and jangly on the top strings. The 5th fret can be sublime and done straight across or moving to higher ground. The advantage here is that you get nice follow up powerful A and D barre chords here when Brent would add his riff. And the 3rd place is up around the 11th fret, but on acoustic the strings are a little too thick and weigh it down. But, get good at all locations and let your mood dictate where you play the riff throughout your rendition of the song.

Tip: April 02, 1990 has a stellar middle lead with a beautiful carom at the start, of the 7th fret E chord down to the 5th fret D chord (where it caroms), and also a wild ride, umpteen-note ascending progression shortly thereafter that segways into the latter tasty high notes. really sweet, overall.
 #99038  by Pete B.

This one shows Jer fingering it( check it around 3:29):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K904VMd3 ... re=related

Around 9:15 in this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzNVFzIhkK0

Jer appears to be playin...
|-------------------------------
|---------------7----7--9--10-
|--7--6--7--9----9------------
|------------------------------

During the ending he does his own call & responce lick (this lick is based out of the D-shape of the A-chord):
|--9----------------------------
|-----10--7----10--7----------
|------------9---------9--8--7-
 #99056  by old man down

Thanks, Pete. That's where I was refering to.

For my own call and response, I've tried to get Brent's response, but it's way up there, around the 13th fret, and Brent has two final notes in his response that leave no gap in time to fall down to get Jer's reinitiated call. So, I also tend to make up whatever to mimic Brent's response, but most of the time it's just nicely timed A and D chords that have a full sound, 5th fret stuff.

This is one of those songs that really grows on you and once you've been playing it for quite some time it just melts together and has a lot of wow factor. I'm only a month into it, still forgetting the words to the majority of the phrases, but so much fun bringing it up to speed while moving forward.
 #99057  by Tennessee Jedi

When it comes together its great tune .... the long jam with the accent thing is sweet .... it sounds like a Jerry tune .... and who doesnt love a Jerry tune ?
:-)